Fifty two

"Come on Mother Nature what type of timing was that? You couldn't have waited another 5 minutes?" I ask the sky. "No no no no" Sarah repeats. The light makes it's way over to us. I quickly duck. "Shittttt" me and Sarah both mumble. "Guys get down" John B says trying to start the boat. "That's them! There they are" I heard from shore.

The engine doesn't start. "Is it not turning over?" Sarah asks. "No it's not" John B replies quickly trying again. "Guys we're screwed they know it's us" I say. "We gotta go" Sarah says. "What are we gonna do? Swim?" I ask her. "What do we do?" Sarah repeats. "Liz check the engine!" John B tells me. I run to the back. I check the choke. "John B start her up!" I yell. He does as I say.

JJ lied when he said she'd run fine, she broke down at literally the worst time possible.

"Guys sit down sit down!" He tells us. I sit in the chair next to his. He goes full throttle and we try our best to speed off into the distance and escape the cops. The light was still shining on us, so it was quite hard to do so. The police cutters were starting to gain on us.

It started to rain. We were caught by surprise when the boats were heading for us head on. "Shit!" Sarah yells. "John B go left!" I say. "Ok hold on, hold on, hold on. Ready?" He asks. "Gun it!" I tell him. He takes a hard left into the storm.

I look at the storm monitor, the cutters still behind us. "They're coming from around the cut!" Sarah yells over the noise from the storm. "John B, we have to go south" I tell him. "Into the storm?" Sarah asks. "Yes, into the storm!" I reply. The thunder rumbles and lightning strikes. Boy we were in for quite the night.

We hit a huge wave, which was obviously caused by the storm. Water washes over the front of the boat, but we were fine. We all hold each other close as we continue to take on the storm, our hair and clothes were soaked but we didn't care. "John B?" Someone says over the radio, and as you probably guessed it was Ward. He had some nerve.

"John B I know you're there son, I know you can hear me. If you love my daughter like I think you love my daughter, then you will turn that boat around and come back. I know you have your sister Liz with you, if you came back you can be sure of her safety. You are going into a storm that you cannot survive. John B, please, I will make it right. I promise you. Come back" He says.

"No, don't listen to him. He's a liar" Sarah tells us. "John B, I am begging you. Think of them, and turn around" he adds. Another huge wave washes over the boat. John B looks between the two of us and picks up the radio. "What are you doing?" I ask. He doesn't reply. "Ward Cameron, do you hear me?" He asks. "Yes" he replies.

"Yes, son, I'm right here. Please bring them back ok?We'll work it all out when you get home" he adds. "You killed my father, he had two kids who looked up to him and you murdered him!" John B yells. "And then you framed me for a murder I didn't commit. You took everything from me!" He yells. "But I'm still here, and I swear to god Ward, I will come back one day and take what's mine. So you listen to me, all right? I'm comin' for you" my brother adds before setting down the radio.

"What would you do if I wasn't here?" Sarah asks him. "He still would have done the same thing" I reply. "Look I'd rather die that go to jail Sarah" He replies. "And I'd rather die than be without you" she says. "Look, we're all gonna die anyways if we don't figure out a way to get through this storm" I say. They both give me a look. "What?" I shrug. Before anyone has time to say anything else, we hit a huge wave. The force is so strong, it causes the boat to flip.

I'm in the water, I feel completely numb. My eyes are closed, and I struggle to move. I somehow finally found the life jacket compartment on the boat. I open it and pull them out. Just as I finish putting mine on, I pass out from lack of oxygen. And all I could think about was JJ.

When I open my eyes again, the sun is glaring off the ocean waters. The storm was gone. There was the sound of seagulls in the distance. All I remember asking myself is if I had died.

"Liz? Sarah?" I hear someone ask. I swim around to the other side of the boat. "Oh my god you're ok!" John B says before pulling me into a side hug. "Sarah?" He asks again. "Sarah?" I yell. We hear her cough. "John B! Lizzie!" She yells. We swim around the boat once again. The two pull each other into a tight hug.

I look off into the distance once again and notice something. "Guys! There's a boat!" I yell pointing towards it. They both look in the same direction as me. "Help!" John B yells. "Help!" I repeat. John B starts to splash around, still yelling help. "Help!" Sarah yells. I felt something brush up against my leg. I pulled it from the water to reveal my brother's backpack. I opened it and found the gold.

I took it and aimed it towards the sun. "Help!" John B yells again. I continue to use the gold as a reflector, hoping the people on the boat would see it. John B stops and pulls Sarah into a hug. "Oh Sarah I'm sorry. I'm so sorry" he tells her. "And Liz, you should have listened to JJ and stayed" he adds. A light flashes back from the boat. "Guys!" I yell. The people on the boat saw it. They saw our call for help. "They see us!" Sarah grins.

"Here! We're over here!" John B yells. I shine the gold again. "Yes! Yes!" He yells. John B and Sarah kiss. "Come on guys, we're literally in the middle of the ocean" I say with a laugh. Honestly, I was just glad we all made it out alive. The boat comes over to our shipwreck, putting a ladder over the side for us to climb up.

"You alright?" The captain asks as we climb over the side. He hands us all blankets. "Yeah, no one's hurt right?" I ask. They both shake their heads. "Y'all are lucky that we came through here" another man on board states. "Hey! Larry, get some coffee on!" He adds. The three of us were shivering.

"Anybody I can call, let 'em know that you're ok?" The captain asks. We all pause for a moment. "We don't really have anybody to call" John B tells him, which was a lie. I couldn't even imagine the pain my boyfriend was going through back on the island.

We start to head up the stairs. "Yo Larry, put some soup on too!" The captain yells again. We step inside to hear music softly playing in the background. "Have a seat" the captain tells me. I sit in the chair with my blanket tightly wrapped around me, still shivering from my wet hair and wet clothes.

"Y'all just made my day a whole lot more interesting" he says, looking at what I'm assuming was a schedule. "Thank you" I say as the guy named Larry hands me a cup of coffee. "So where the hell was y'all trying to go?" He asks. "Umm" Sarah says. "Could you just drop us off at the next port? It doesn't matter where" She asks. I nod in agreement to her question. "Where'd you say you were going again?" John B asks.

"Nassau" he replies. That's when I realized it. "The Bahamas" I mumble to John B. "The gold" he replies. We smirk at each other.

So JJ, I guess that's why I'm writing you this letter. To let you know I'm alive, because you deserve to know. I wanted to give you some of your last memories with me from my point of view. It was because of you that I had one of the best summers of my entire life. I wrote you this (very detailed) letter to give you my summer 2019 to the best of my ability. I will always love you.

Your High School lover,
Beverly

A few days after we arrived in Nassau, I had found time to finally mail out my letter to JJ. I went to the nearest post office box and stuffed the envelope though the slot. I thought of what JJ would do once he found out I was still alive. Oh, and did I mention I died too?

___________

A/N

Before y'all ask, the last sentence is reference to the first sentence so she's saying it sarcastically and she ain't actually dead

Oml... so first of all, yes, this entire book was a letter to JJ.
And second, I'm so emotional right now. I just finished my first book! Thank you so much for all the love and support on this, y'all mean everything to me! I'm so glad you guys followed to see JJ and Liz!

🎉 You've finished reading 𝗛𝗜𝗚𝗛 𝗦𝗖𝗛𝗢𝗢𝗟 𝗟𝗢𝗩𝗘𝗥 (𝙅.𝙈.) 🎉