twenty nine

Me and Kie were hanging out in her room waiting to leave when Kie's mom bursts into the room. "Mom this dress is disgusting" Kie says. "I know it's just horrible, I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party. You even get to bring one of your friends" her mom replies sarcastically.

"Mom people not three miles from here have no power, just ask Lizzie. Lizzie do you have any power?" Kie asks. "Nope" I reply popping the p. "And we're going to midsummers that's so tone death" she adds.  "Honey do you know how hard we had to work to get into the island club?" Her mom asks.

"Yeah mom how could I forget you had to gravel for like ten years-" her mom cuts her off. "12, and do you know why we did that?"

"To keep up with the Jones'?" Kie replies sarcastically. "No so you could have the same experiences I had as a child" her mom states. I just stay in the corner of the room in silence, not wanting to be caught in the middle of anything.

We soon left, Kie's family giving us a ride. We pulled in the island club, and there were cars starting to pile down the driveway. The place was absolutely packed. I thought of how JJ would be roasting the shit out of it right about now.

We got to the back of the building where the event was being held, people dressed up everywhere. I caught a few kook boys staring at me as the sun reflected off the sparkles on my dress.

Kie pointed as Pope who was working one of the grills. "Let's mess with him" she says with a laugh. I smile and follow her over to him. "Excuse me do we have to shuck these ourselves?" She asks in a British accent. "Cause it might mess up our costumes" I say in the same accent when he turns around. We all laugh.

"Well we wouldn't want that now would we?" Pope asks with a smile. He does a handshake with Kie. "Both your accents are awful" he adds. "Yeah it was" she agrees. "Yeah let's just let that go" I say.

"You ever seen this many kooks in one place?" I ask. "Yeah. Last year" Pope replies. "Hey... have you heard from JJ?" Pope asks me. "Not yet... I hope he's ok" I mumble looking at the ground.

I thought of how much he'd love being here right now, making fun of all the kooks' outfits. He'd most definitely have his arm around me with a smile. I couldn't help but worry about him.

It had been about 2 hours, it was now dark and I had had a few drinks at that point. I was dancing around when I suddenly heard a familiar voice.

"I keep finding glasses halfway down the beach, do me a favor and try to keep 'em corralled will ya?" My boyfriend asks the security guard as a way to sneak into the event.

JJ wasn't looking where he was going when he bumped into me. "Oops I'm sorry ma'am I- holy shit" was all he could say as he realized it was me, he looked me up and down.

"Liz you look so good" he finally says. "Thanks babe" I say. I noticed the cuts and bruises on his face. "Oh my god JJ" I rub my thumb over his face. "Liz, I'm fine... really" he says.

"Did shoupe do this?" I asked, wanting it to be true. It's not that I wanted my boyfriend to be hurt but at least being beat by an officer would have been better than his own father. "You already know who did it babe, please don't worry I'm fine" he reassures.

"J..." he cuts me off "it's nothing that hasn't happened before"

My heart shatters, hearing that even though I know what's been happening in the Maybank house for a very long time was heartbreaking.

"JJ it's all my fault, I shouldn't have let you take the fall for all this shit. If I wouldn't have let-" I stopped talking as tears built up in my eyes. JJ pulls me into a tight hug. "It'll be ok, you're here with me and that's what matters" he says into my hair as he plants a kiss on the top of my head.

"And bedsides, we're back in the g game baby" he adds. I smile forms on my face as I pull away from him. "Now princess, follow me" he says, starting to pull me towards the dance floor.

"Where are we going?" I ask with a laugh. "I have to give Val a note from Vlad" he replies. "What?" I ask. "John B and Sarah have code names for each other" he states.

"My brother is macking Sarah Cameron?" I ask with a laugh in disbelief. "That's what I said" he rolls his eyes sarcastically. I gasp. "What?" He asks. "We should do code names babe!" I squeal.

"Really Liz?" He was never the type to be into the romantic stuff. "Come on it will be fun!" I giggle. "You can be Bennett from... Canada" I say. "And you can be Beverly from London" he adds.

"Why hello there, Bennett" I say in my awful British accent. "Hello Ms. Beverly" he replies with a Canadian accent as he takes my hand and kisses it. We both laugh.

"On a real note, let's get this note to Sarah" I say. We both walk over to her. "We have a note from Vlad" JJ says starting to dance around with her. "Apparently it's top secret" I say following his moves. Sarah laughs at both of us.

"From Vlad?" She asks as she takes the note. Me and JJ nod before walking away. We're both looking back at her when I walk straight into a tall figure stopping me in my tracks.

————————————

A/N

Here ya go! Another chapter :)
Hope you enjoyed this one, and we're almost halfway through the book already!
Stay tuned for more on Wednesday :)