Forty nine

That night we spent hiding his Kie's family restaurant, hoping not to get caught. We had all fallen asleep on tables, using napkins for pillows. It wasn't the most comfortable thing ever, but it worked.

JJ had woken up before any of us. He stood on the screened in porch, staring out into the marsh. "They haven't caught him yet. That's good" I say as I stand next to my boyfriend, referring to the police sirens in the distance. "Good and bad... what if something happened Liz?" JJ asks as I lean my head into him. "I know my brother J, he's fine" I reply.

"Plus they wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him" Pope says, walking over to the two of us. "Let's hope" JJ replies. "You know we were in that car, they're probably looking for us too" Kie shrugs. "She's right... we're screwed" I add.

"Well if we're gonna be outlaws then we might as well help John B" Pope says, walking away. I follow him. "So... find him before they do?" I ask. He doesn't reply, he just begins to storm away. "Pope" JJ says trying to get the boy's attention. "I gotta get gas for the boat" he replies. Deep down I know he was most likely just upset about what went down with Kie.

"Hey, you be careful" Kie says as he heads for the door with the keys to JJ's bike in his hands. They share a look. Pope wasn't very happy. "Meet me at the dock at three, don't be late" he tells JJ before walking out the door. Kie chases after him. "Ok what is your problem?" She asks Pope. "No problem officer I'm just doing my job" he replies as he starts up the bike.

"Look I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings" he revs the engine over her voice. "What was that?" He asks. "Look I didn't mean too" he does it again. "Sorry I can't hear you what's that?" He asks. "Pope I'm being serious, I'm trying to talk to you!" She yells over the noise. He speeds off.

She looks up at me and JJ who were watching from the porch. "I'm gonna go deal with him, Lizzie my car keys are inside and there's food for them under the counter!" She says before rushing to chase after Pope. "Well, looks like it's just me and you Liz" JJ says looking up at me. "Yep" I reply. A helicopter flies above us.

"Who the hell is that?" JJ asks. "Don't know, but it's no one good" I say before hesitantly walking back inside. He follows. "Kie said there's food under the counter for them, let's get this nightmare over with" I say. He grabs a box and sets it on the counter while I go around the back.

I start handing him loaves of bread from underneath the counter. "Boy they're sure gonna get sick of peanut butter sandwiches" I say grabbing a can of peanut butter. "John B lives on those things" he replies. I laugh. "True"

I hand him the last loaf that was there. "Is that gonna be enough food for them?" I ask. "I mean for a couple of weeks and that's all they need so" he shrugs. He puts his backpack over his shoulder before grabbing the box from the table. I grabbed Kie's car keys and headed out the back door, making sure to lock up after JJ walked out.

I opened the hatchback to Kie's car and JJ set the box in the back. I walked around to the driver's seat while he sat on the passenger's side. The ride to JJ's house was silent. I was thinking about weather I should stay here with JJ, or go with my brother to Mexico.

I mean, if I were to go with John B we could have a fresh start, not having to worry about any murder cases or pogues versus kooks. If I stayed, I would constantly be on the run but I'd be with JJ. We pulled up to JJ's house.

He looks at the building with tears in his eyes. "Home sweet home" he says, looking away. "Do you want me to come? Cause I'll come" I suggest. He shakes his head at me. "Nah nah this will only take a second" he says opening the door. The boy pauses for a moment before quickly turning around and kissing me.

After a few seconds, we pull away. I didn't ask why he did it. I somehow already knew. The blonde needed reassurance. He needed to know he was doing the right thing, stealing his dad's boat keys. He wasn't only doing this for his best friend, he was doing it for me.

He steps out of the car and throws backpack over his shoulders he then starts to walk up to his front steps before turning to smile at me. I smile back. He walks inside the house and I'm left to entertain myself in the car.

I started thinking again: should I stay here or should I go? I wanted to stay for JJ. I really did. But I was afraid of the things that might happen to me. It sounds so selfish I know, but I was scared. What if they blame me for helping John B disappear? What if I get arrested? There's no one to bail me out, after all everyone thinks my brother is a murderer.

After a few minutes JJ storms out the front door with the boat keys in his hand. I struggle to find the words to say. He looked so emotional. "How'd it go?" I ask. He doesn't say anything, he just holds up the keys. I slowly nod as I start the car and quickly back down the driveway.

I drove as quickly as I could heading to the dock. I was probably speeding, but who cares, we're accomplices in a murder investigation. That's what they do in the books right? Speed into trouble?

JJ plays with the keys in his hand before looking at me. "It's gonna be fine Liz, it's gonna be fine with the phantom" JJ states. I didn't know how I was gonna tell him what I was about to say next, so I just said it.

"JJ, I'm leaving with them"

__________

A/N

So anyways... how are y'all doing?😅
Also, OBX PLEASE POST THE JJ PICTURE IM BEGGING YALL