Chapter 55

I DIDNT PROOF-READ BECAUSE I WANTED TO UPDATE FOR YOU GUYS SO EXCUSE ANY TYPOS PLEASE

.

Allison's POV

"So tell me," Anne begins with excitement, stirring her drink with her straw, "how did you and Harry meet?" Her eyes brighten at the mention of her son. I can see how much she cares about him.

I sit across from her, a table in between us. I've never heard of this restaurant. Strange how much things change when you switch countries.

Unfortunately, Anne's enthusiasm is not contagious. At the back of my mind, a thought keeps nagging at me. You'll never have kids. That thing that you wanted, really badly. Yeah, you can't have it.

It continues to taunt me and I'm finding it hard to focus on anything besides how depressed I am. The weather only makes it worse. The gray skies and the rain reflect the weather in my heart. I feel like I'm surrounded by darkness and the only beam of light is sitting across from me.

"Allison?" She asks and I remember that she was talking to me.

"Oh, sorry. Um, how did we meet?" I clarify and she nods. I clear my throat. "My father and I were moving into the apartment across from Harry's and he ran into me in the lobby. Literally, ran into me. As in I fell and he fell on top of me. I always have to explain that part."

Anne laughs. "Harry has always been careless in that sense. Never looks where he's going, ever. His mind is always somewhere else." She laughs. "Lucky he did though, or you might not have met."

I try not to roll my eyes. Little does she know, Harry was going to meet me no matter what. It was his job to babysit me so I wouldn't find out he was dealing drugs. I shake my head of the thought. We're past that now. I have to move forward.

But you can't just ignore the danger he put you in. You could've been killed. My subconscious butts in. Where has she been the past month?

Yeah, but I wasn't. I'm still alive. I retort.

I'm just saying. She shrugs. You can't ignore it. As much as you'd like to move past it, he lied to you when your safety was at risk.

I hold this mini dialogue with myself in a matter of nanoseconds. I shake my head again, shutting her up. Harry's changed. He's not involved in that anymore and we're growing our relationship to be based on honesty. I have bigger things to worry about right now.

"Yeah, it's lucky he did." I smile at Anne. I try to put on my best smile. I'm looking to earn approval from this woman, I can't be moping around like this.

"You know, Harry had a hard time during his childhood. I'm sure you know about some of it, but he always claims to be stronger than he actually is." Anne frowns.

"Trust me, I know." I say and we laugh lightly.

"I know he had to take on a mature role at an early age because his father abandoned us. I can't imagine the pressure it's put on him." She sighs and I know exactly how she's feeling.

"Do you blame yourself for that?"

Anne nods regretfully. "I should've done more as a mother to support him. He needed a positive influence but I was so busy. I don't blame him for being so distant. I was never a mother to him." She says and looks like she's about to cry.

She's got it all wrong. What is it with this family and blaming themselves for things they didn't do?

"Anne, that's not true." I say and she looks up at me confused. I reach across the table and grab her hand. "Harry adores you. He thinks your the strongest woman he knows. He admires you so much for enduring the things that you have. He doesn't blame you for the way he is. I know that for a fact. Please, trust me on that."