Chapter 23

Allison's POV

My day with Harry has been unusually normal, given the events of last night. We've carried on normal conversations, we had lunch at a normal fast food restaurant, and we came home and watched a normal television program on a normal television.

I've omitted any mention of Harry's I love you last night. He hasn't said anything about it and I'm beginning to think it might have been a tired mistake. It's disheartening, but I don't want to pressure him into saying he loves me if he really doesn't.

I find it hard to focus on the show as I think about all of these things. Harry's arm is around my shoulder as we sit on his couch. He stares impassively at the T.V., laughing when the actors say something funny.

I open my mouth to say something, I'm not even sure what, but I'm interrupted anyway. The doorbell rings and Harry is off the couch in a moment to answer it. He looks through the peephole as I continue to watch the program.

"Allison." Harry says and I pause the T.V.

"Yes?"

"Go to my room." Harry still looks through the peephole, his tone suddenly very serious.

"Why? Who is it?"

"Go to my room, now." He looks away from the door and gives me a hard stare, "I'm not kidding. Don't come out until I say, and don't make a sound."

"You know, this isn't very settling to hear. I'm just supposed to blindly obey?" I stand from the couch, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Allison, go." Harry turns back to the door.

I roll my eyes and huff in annoyance. "All right, Jesus. I'm going." I stomp down the hallway to Harry's room and slam the door behind me.

I press my ear to the door, beyond curious as to who has arrived. Given Harry's urgency, I'd say it was Dylan, but he would've told me if it was him. I hear Harry open the door and then it's silent for a long time. Eventually, I hear a voice that's not Harry's. It's a man's voice, but whatever they're saying is inaudible.

I squint my eyes, somehow believing it will help me hear better. I hear the other man's footsteps on the hardwood floor and I know Harry has invited him in. I assume they're standing in the kitchen, given where the voices are coming from. I listen for a few minutes, still unable to hear anything.

Suddenly one of the voices becomes very loud. It's Harry's. He's pissed.

"And you think you can just show up here, unannounced?!" He yells. I groan. Who is he yelling at?

The man replies at a normal volume, so I can't make out what he says.

"How did you find me?" Harry yells again and there is silence. I hear the sound of glass shattering and I jump.

"Answer the question Jack!"

Wait, Jack. Where did I just hear that name? I ponder for a moment and my eyes widen with shock.

Holy shit, it's Harry's dad. He's here? Oh my God. I suddenly become very anxious. I'm not sure why, I mean, he's not my father. I'm probably anxious because Harry is anxious.

I open Harry's door, slowly and quietly, careful not to make any sound as I tiptoe down the hallway. I stop at the end, standing at the corner so I can see into the kitchen. Harry's back is to me, but I can see his father's face perfectly.

Jack has the same mop of curls that Harry has and the same beautiful green eyes. Jack's facial structure is a little more defined than Harry's, but I credit that to age.