Chapter 41

Allison's POV

I'm so tired. I don't know how long I've been running. I don't even know where I am. This forest is endless. I've been crying for the past ten minutes, but I know I can't slow down. Regardless of what Dylan said, I can't shake the fear that they're still coming after me.

I stop in a small clearing in the forest, resting my hands on my knees to catch my breath. I can feel the grime and dirt all over me. My hair, my face, my feet, and my dress are all covered in some element of nature. I look in all directions, trying to see if there's any way out of here. I squint my eyes, looking to my left. I think there's a faint light, but, then again, I don't trust my eyes right now. Or anything for that matter.

I figure it's worth the risk and I walk slowly in that direction. As I approach, I'm certain that there's a light. I let out a sigh of relief and run to it. Eventually, I emerge from the forest. A large brick building with dumpsters behind it is in front of me. Yes, civilization. I walk around to the front of whatever this building is.

As I enter, I see it's some kind of homely pizza parlor. The patrons in the restaurant look at me oddly. At first, I wonder why. Then I realize I probably look like a mad woman. Leaves and twigs in my hair, dirt all over me, and barefoot. I wipe my feet on the welcome rug and smile awkwardly.

I approach the front counter and the male cashier eyes me with confusion and concern. His nametag reads 'HAYDEN'. Of course it does. I can't catch a break. After a moment, he smiles warmly at me.

"Hey," he narrows his eyes, "you're that girl. The one who cried when I delivered your pizza! The one that gave me a twenty dollar tip!" He says triumphantly.

You've got to be kidding me. I didn't even recognize him.

"Wow, another tough night?" He laughs, obviously referring to my uncanny resemblance to a female Tarzan.

Okay, I'm not in the mood for this. "Listen, do you have a phone I could borrow?"

I don't know who I'm supposed to call. I sure as hell can't call my dad and I'm too livid to talk to Hayden right now. If everything Harry said was true, I don't want anything to do with him.

Cameron. Oh my God. Praise the Lord.

"There's one by the arcade around this corner." The teenage Hayden points and I nod curtly.

I walk tentatively to the phone, dialing Cameron's number. I call at least five or six times, each time getting his voicemail. I groan and rest my head against the wall next to the phone.

I could cry. Why does nothing work out when I need it to? What other option do I have? I don't even know where to go. I need to get home, I think. I don't know how far away I am. Maybe I can just walk. I sigh, not liking that option.

I approach the counter again. I can't believe I'm about to do this. "Hello." I say awkwardly to the teenage Hayden.

He nods at me. "Do you need something?"

I take a deep breath in and shake my head. This is fucking ridiculous. "I can see that you're working and this is extremely unprofessional and I don't know you and you don't know me-"

"Whoa. Take it easy blondie." He puts his hands up in defense and I furrow my eyebrows at the nickname. "Relax. One thing at a time."

"Okay. This is going to sound crazy, but I need a ride home. I don't know where I am and it's extremely important."

He narrows his eyes at me again before shrugging. "Sure." He says casually, coming out from behind the counter.

What? That was easy. Absurdly easy.