Chapter 38

Harry's POV

"What's wrong with this one?" I ask, holding up a dark red dress.

Allison rolls her eyes. "Harry, it's only for one night. That's too much."

I sigh. After our depressing conversation on the roof, I brought Allison to the mall to find a dress. So far, we've had no luck. She's just not a dressy type of girl I guess.

We wander through different stores, Allison practically gagging at how gaudy everything is. Eventually, we end up in Macy's. If she's going to find anything, she'll find it here.

"Maybe we're looking in the wrong departments." I say and Allison looks at me confused. "Maybe the women's department is designed to only have flashy dresses."

Allison shrugs. "Possibly. Where else do I look? Is there a teenage department or something, because I absolutely will not fit into anything children-sized."

"Why don't we just ask?" I suggest and Allison laughs. We walk out of the women's section and find an employee shoving shoe boxes back onto a shelf. "Excuse me?" I clear my throat and he turns around.

It takes me a second to realize who it is. By the time it comes to me, Allison already has her arms around him.

"Allison, oh my God. It's good to see you." Cameron says and embraces her. I stand awkwardly, looking at him, his arms around my girlfriend.

Allison pulls away, but her hands remain on Cameron's arms. "It's good to see you too. What are you doing here?" She smiles up at him.

"Well," he points to his name tag, "I work here now. After you left, I didn't really want to work at Barnes and Noble anymore. So, here I am."

"Here you are." She echoes and he laughs.

Cameron's eyes drift over to me and he immediately looks confused, as if he assumed Allison would've left me by now.

"Oh." Allison pulls Cameron's arms off of her. "You remember Harry."

"Of course." He says, offering his hand out to me.

Reluctantly, I shake it and flash him a fake smile. I don't feel bad about it, he gives one right back to me.

Allison shifts her weight uncomfortably, she knows this is awkward. "Anyway," she says and we both look at her, "Cam, we were looking for a dress for me but the dresses in the women's department aren't really working for me. Any suggestions?"

"If you're looking for something more casual I'd suggest the Juniors section. The clothes are designed for ages twelve to eighteen, but I'm sure you can find something you like."

Allison nods and grabs my hand. I smirk arrogantly at Cameron and he catches it.

"You know, Allison. We should catch up some time soon."

Allison's eyes widen as though she can't believe he said it in front of me. She looks back and forth between the two of us. "Um, sure. I'd like that." She gives him a quick hug and I pull her to the Juniors section.

I look straight ahead as we walk and I hear Allison groan. "Don't be upset, Harry."

"I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"Okay, I am, but not with you."

"With Cameron?"

I shrug. "More or less."

The truth of the matter is I'm more upset with myself. Everything I have right now is perfect, and I'm going to abandon it all. Guys like Cameron will have every opportunity to win Allison's heart and there won't be anything I can do to stop it. The thought horrifies me.