Chapter 19

Allison's POV

I blink my eyes a few times before they open. It's dark in my room with the exception of the moon light peeking through the blinds on my window.

What time is it?

I glance at my phone on my nightstand next to me. It's three o'clock in the morning. I shrug, throwing my head back on my pillow and closing my eyes, wondering what made me get up so early. They're only closed for a moment, before there's a sound. My eyes snap open and I sit up in my bed, waiting for something to happen.

Silence.

I warily settle back down into my bed, and the sound echoes through my room again. It's knocking, I think. Groaning, I hop up from my bed and make my way towards the front door. Who's coming around at three in the morning? I get on my tip-toes to look through the peephole of the door, but it's covered. This is getting very scary, very quickly.

My breath becomes ragged as I unlock the door, trepidation overwhelming me and causing goosebumps to rise on my chest. I open the door and see Harry. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and place my hand over my rapidly beating heart. I'm glad it's Harry and not someone else, but I'm also very mad at him right now.

I glance up at him and my eyes widen. The man standing before me is Harry, but not as I've seen him before. His eyes are tired and red, full of sorrow. His cheeks stained with tears as he sniffles in front of me. He's been crying..a lot.

Serves him right for how he treated you. Even at three AM my subconscious is wide awake and making snide comments. However, she's not completely wrong. It's not fair that I come home and cry for hours and he doesn't feel anything. I'm selfishly happy that he's been crying as well.

We take a few moments just staring at each other, Harry wiping his eyes ever so often.

"What are you doing here?" I finally speak, my expression impassive.

"Come stay with me. Please." He cries and I'm taken aback by his sudden proposal.

"Harry," I whisper, "it is three in the morning. It's not exactly the best time for this."

His eyes squeeze shut as another tear escapes from them. "Please. I need you right now Allison."

"And what about later? Will you need me later?" I widen my eyes at him expectantly.

He looks down at his feet and then back up to me. "I'll always need you."

My heart warms and I want to say yes, but my subconscious gives me a warning glance over the top of her glasses. I hate to say it, but she's right. Again.

"Harry, I can't. I'm sorry."

"Allison, look a me. Have you ever seen me like this before?" He gestures his hand to his face, and I can honestly say that I have not.

I shake my head at him. "No, I haven't. Will you tell me what's wrong?"

Harry's lips press into a hard line and he looks everywhere but at me. He sighs and looks down at his hands. "I can't. There's so much I wish I could tell you, but I just can't."

Therein lies the problem. Well, not the problem..our problem.

"That's why I can't stay with you. I always end up overstepping some boundary that I'm not aware of, and you get pissed and ask me to leave."

"I know."

"I'm sorry that you're like this right now, but there's nothing I can do to help you." I stand back from the door frame and grab the handle, "Goodnight, Harry."