Chapter 37

Harry's POV

Four days. Four perfect days. Ninety-six hours. Five thousand seven hundred sixty minutes. All spent with her. I never thought I'd find something so precious. We've been able to omit any mention of my approaching departure. It's not something we want to dwell on.

Instead, we enjoyed four days in each other's company. Taking walks, watching mindless hours of television but talking through all of it, laughing, kissing, falling asleep with her in my arms. I couldn't have dreamed of anything more perfect. It almost felt as though the universe had recognized it's cruelty and cut me some slack for once.

However, the day has come, as we both knew it would. Christmas Eve. These past four days all come to shit in the end.

I open my eyes to the darkness of my bedroom. My arms still around Allison's waist as she remains asleep next to me. I'm not sure what woke me up, but I have a feeling I won't be falling back asleep. I turn and look at the clock. Ten in the morning.

One thing I'm sure of is that I don't want to waste one moment without her. I look down at Allison, her head buried into my chest as she breathes softly. I smile, pushing a hair from her face. Part of me doesn't want to wake her up. But, another part of me knows she doesn't want to waste a moment either. Reluctantly, I decide to wake her.

I place my hand on her shoulder, rocking it back and forth gently. "Allison." I whisper and her nose crinkles up. "Baby, wake up." I say softly.

Allison sleepily opens one of her eyes and looks up at me. "What is it? Are you okay?" She asks quietly, her voice cracking from sleep.

I kiss her forehead and hold her to my chest. "Happy Christmas Eve my love."

She hugs me back, gently kissing my cheek. I push another hair behind her ear before tilting her chin to look up at me. "Would you like me to give you your present?"

"You got me a present?" She asks and I nod. "Harry, I'm sorry. I didn't get you anything." She looks down and I rest my hand on her cheek.

"Allison," I say and she looks up at me, "you've already given me the world. You're enough for me."

Allison blushes, pressing her lips to mine again. She pulls back, looks at me, and kisses me again. This time she doesn't pull away. Allison brings her hand up to my chest and slowly begins to travel down towards my crotch.

I quickly intercept her hand and pull away from her. "Allison, stop. We can't."

She frowns at me. "What do you mean we can't? We just did two days ago."

"You're keeping track?" I laugh and she blushes again. I look at her more seriously and sigh. "We can't. We both know what's coming in a matter of hours and there's no point in leading ourselves on like that."

She frowns, turning her eyes away from me. I press a finger to her cheek and turn her to face me. "It's not because I don't want to. Believe me, I do." I say and she laughs. "It's just, I know it will only make it harder to leave you."

"I understand." She says and I kiss her quickly on the lips before getting out of bed.

"All right, get up. You've got to get your present now."

Allison smiles and hops up from the bed.

"Sorry, I don't have a tree to put it under or anything." I excuse myself to my closet.

I reach up to the shelf and grab my journal off of it. I'd always intended on giving it to her, I just didn't realize it'd be so soon. I look at the dark brown leather and run my fingers over it. Sighing, I return to my room. I hold it out to Allison and she looks at it curiously.