Chapter 8

It's been at least two weeks since I talked to Harry after the whole "Hayden" conversation. Sometimes I see him walking out of his apartment the same time I do. He always looks like he wants to say something, but he never does. Of course I'm wondering what he's thinking, but I feel weird saying anything. I want to talk to him, but I just have a few other things to think about at the moment.

I look up as the front door unlocks and my dad shuffles in, wiping his shoes on the welcome mat.

"What are you working on?" Nick walks over to me and nods his head at the papers in my lap.

"These are college applications." I say proudly.

"Really?," my dad says surprised, "to where?" He sets his jacket down on the table and sits next to me on the couch.

"Well I've been looking for colleges around here where I can get my degree in English, but-"

"English? I thought you were majoring in Liberal Arts before." He interrupts.

"I was, but that focuses more on philosophy and mathematics than literature. I'm narrowing it down to just language and writing." I explain and Nick nods.

"So where around here were you thinking about?"

"That's the problem. There are tons of colleges around here that offer English majors, but there's a university in Pennsylvania that has a program offering English and journalism courses that sound really interesting." I say and wait for him to ask the question I know is coming next.

"That's amazing Allie! Which university?" He says and my smile drops.

I mutter something inaudible and my dad asks me to repeat myself.

"Arcadia University." I say, bracing myself for his reaction, but he doesn't say anything.

Nick looks around the living room, letting out a long sigh. He rubs the back of his neck and finally makes eye contact with me.

"Arcadia? That's....expensive."

"I know," I admit, suddenly feeling really small, "it's just, I feel like that will be best for me." I say but that doesn't seem to be enough for him.

"I don't have to live on campus. I could stay with your sister, she doesn't live far from campus."

"I know Allie, but the initial out of state tuition is really hard, especially with your mom and I not sharing an income anymore." Nick says not looking at me.

"I could apply for scholarships. I've always had good grades. I could definitely get some academic scholarships." I plead, desperate of his approval.

My dad sighs again, thinking about my proposal. I widen my eyes at him, waiting for his answer.

"I'll think about it," he says and my arms are instantly wrapping him in a tight hug. He seems shocked at first, but eventually hugs me back.

"Thanks Nick," I say and he slouches a little, "I mean dad. Thanks dad."

Maybe it's time I stopped pretending to be angry at my dad all the time. It's extremely difficult.

"I'm so proud of you Allison." My dad says grabbing my hands.

There's a knock at the door and my dad and I both turn our attention toward it. I start to stand but my dad grabs my hand.

"I've got it. You start researching these scholarships." My dad smiles and I eagerly return to my pile of papers. I pull out the application for Arcadia and begin to read it when I hear my name said by the person at the door.