Kiss Quota

"Princess, what're your thoughts on us hosting a Valentine's ball?" Arjun asks, rising from his seat. Removing my attention from the scrolls that are spread out haphazardly in front of me, I shake my head at the man in front of me.

"Don't you dare stroll over here in search of a kiss." I warn Arjun, even though my voice lacks the remotest hints of conviction. As a result, my words fall on deaf ears; Arjun's advancing gait not so much as faltering for even a second. 

"What in God's name would put such a delusional thought in your head, Princess?" Although Arjun's face is stoic, I don't fail to catch sight of the dancing mischief in his eyes.

"Probably the fact that you've already done so a handful of times in the past hour." I retort, shaking my head in disbelief at the recollection. Arjun's a child who can repeat the same game without fail. 

"And if my memory serves me correctly, you weren't complaining a peep, Princess." Arjun reminds me, a lazy smirk tugging at one end of his lips. 

"I..." Trailing off, I bite down on my lower lip. That is most certainly one accusation I cannot fight against. "Yes, well, your quota for the day is over, Arjun!" I exclaim, wagging my index finger in his direction, in an attempt to sound sterner than I feel right now. Frowning, Arjun halts in his tracks, only to glare at me accusingly. "If we keep at it like two childish lovers, then how in the world will we get any official work done? Imagine this news, the lands of Naiq and Parman went to the dogs because their rulers couldn't keep their hands off of each other." Good God, we'd become the joke of the century!

"Princess, this isn't fair!" Arjun whines, furrowing his brows together. "You can't put a limit to our kisses. Which wife does that?" In an attempt to showcase his exasperation, Arjun throws his arms in the air. The melodrama of this man makes it seem as if I've gravely wronged him in some manner by committing a cardinal sin.

"Arjun Singhania, are you throwing a tantrum just because I'm banning you from kissing me?" I ask, leaning back into my seat. Quite truthfully, bothering Arjun and holding the upper hand with him has become my most beloved hobby of them all. 

"So what if I am?" In a show of indignation, Arjun juts his chin out ever so slightly. "I am, after all, fighting for my husbandly rights!" A giggle escapes my lips at Arjun's state. 

"Okay, let's strike a deal, Arjun. You stay right there and explain this whole Valentine's ball thought to me," I bargain. "After which I'll consider allowing you one extra kiss, which will exceed your daily quota of course." Shrugging nonchalantly, I raise my eyebrows at Arjun in askance. "Take it or leave it." 

"You drive a hard bargain, Mrs. Singhania." Arjun compliments me grudgingly, narrowing his eyes ever so slightly at me. "But I'll take it." 

"Wise decision, Mr. Singhania." Smiling at my small victory, I nod my head at Arjun to begin saying his part.

"Now Princess, we've been married for a while now and yet we haven't hosted a formal gathering as a couple - " 

"I wonder why," I interrupt Arjun, shrugging my shoulders with the utmost innocence. Huffing, my husband offers me the best glare that he can muster. "I apologise, do continue." 

"Right, so as I was saying," Arjun begins once again. "Valentine's Day is upcoming, so we may as well utilise the celebration and invite all the aristocratic couples from not only our kingdoms, but from across the world. It will also help ease the border tensions to a great extent." 

I can't help but appreciate the animated gleam in Arjun's eyes as he explains his line of thought to me, along with the excited hand gestures that punctuate almost every word of his. Who would've thought that I'd find a partner who shares the dedication, love and passion that I have for my people and kingdom? Having met many leaders from across the world, I am well aware that chancing upon such a true king - one who doesn't wish to steal from his people and fill his palace with the riches of corruption - is a rarity that must be treasured. With time, the realisation grows stronger that Arjun and I aren't as different as I thought we were.