Chapter 6: Talks and familiar faces

Mantheniels PoV

The night sky was different in Mirkwood. It seemed clearer, somehow. The stars had always been important to our kind. I watch as countless of stars twinkled in rhythm across the dark blanket that now covered middle earth. Sleep could not find me so I ventured out into the courtyard; surrounded by the sounds of the trees and the creatures that lived among them.

There was no longer any music and all of the wood elves had gone inside to sleep or to read, except for those assigned to watch over the kingdom.

I had left Lindethiel in our room for she had drank too much, being only half an elf, wine and ale still affected her. The wine here was truly a delight. No wonder the Elven King was known to have fine taste in it.

The Elven King.

I place a hand to my chest where my heart no longer beats like a wild animal in a cage. I pull my cloak tighter around me when I am joined by another elf.

It was the elleth named Tauriel. The woman who had escorted us to meet the king.

"I have heard stories of you, although I could not really imagine the color of your eyes." She says as she joins me under the night sky.

"The color of fire. Neither red nor brown- not even yellow." I say without looking at her. She sits next to me and we are drowned in silence for a while.

"May I ask you something?" Her voice was soft, and unsure. I look at her then nodding my head in response.

"It is about the kings son." She does not look at me when she says this, instead her eyes are focused on the stars above, a stone or pebble of some kind was in her hands.

"What of Lord Legolas?" I ask when she no longer continued to speak.

"Is he well?" She was turning the stone in her hand- her expression unchanging.

I remember the conversation I had with Turwaithiel about Legolas' heart belonging to another who seemed to have not chosen him for Lord Elrond said his reason for arriving at Rivendell was that of a broken heart. I observe the elleth before giving her a reply.

"He is, I believe. He has grown fond of a half-elf there called Aragorn."

She merely nods her head at my reply, holding on to the stone in her hands.

"I am glad." She says before leaving me alone once again with my thoughts running from Rivendell to the King who owned the lands I was currently standing on.

--------

When dawn broke, we continued our quest. The King had been generous to give us more than enough supplies for our journey and back. Although I hope there would be no need to stay here the second time on our journey back. He even gave us two horses for faster travel, saying that he was the reason for our delay.

I was standing at the stables with Lindethiel when Tauriel arrived.

"The King wishes to see you, Lady Mantheniel." She informs. Somehow the worried look on her face did nothing to help the growing nervousness I had in me.

We arrive at the throne room, where I had met the King the first time but he was nowhere to be found. Tauriel instructs for me to wait for him before leaving me again, staring at the marvelous chair before me. With a staircase. Nan Aear a Gaeil! I look around the throne room finding it to be a simple one. The only thing that seemed to scream majestic was the throne itself. I ascend the stairs, my curiosity getting the best of me, walking towards the high chair that he sat upon. I feel the strange feeling again as the image of the Elven King appears in my mind, he was sitting on his throne the moment we arrived. My hands reach out to touch the fabric when someone clears a throat.