Chapter 47: Monsters

Mantheniels POV

I am not sure why my heart was beating so fast. Could it be because a threat was upon us? Or how close me and Thranduil were to do such a improper act. I pull the cloak tighter around me as we enter the throne room. I immediately take a few steps away from him as Lindethiel enters the room, her eyes wide and distressed. I felt dread hit me as soon as the doors opened, carrying with it the air around Lindethiel.

"Turwaithiel." She heaved, as she struggles to catch her breath. I run up to her and wrap an arm around her shoulder for she shook with such intensity I was afraid she was going to pass out. My eyes await the rest of her sentence as Thranduil orders one of the elven maids to get Lindethiel some water.

"Would you like to sit?" He asks her and she shakes her head, her eyes finding mine.

"Turwaithiel. She has been captured!" She croaks out as her throat did not permit her to speak properly due to its need of water. My eyes snap immediately to Thranduil who seemed to have stayed calm and collected despite it all. My heart begins to beat rapidly in my chest that I was starting to shake myself as the elven maid enters with a glass of water, another maid followed her with a pitcher.

Lindethiel drinks graciously as she steadies herself on me, using my body as support. I often forget how human she could be. When she finished the glass and had downed in half of the pitcher she begins to speak again.

"Turwaithiel has been captured. Tauriel is in pursuit. You must gather your army and march after them!" Her eyes were pleading with Thranduil and yet Thranduil did not make much of a movement when Legolas enters the room, his long strides indicating that he too, had urgent news.

"Orcs. A lot of them, they are so close to our borders. They must have surrounded us last night. We have been too busy, too careless." He says and the ice in his voice made my insides quiver. His blue eyes then turned to me, his eye brows raised a little before they land on Lindethiel who repeats her message.

"Turwaithiel. Captured. Tauriel is in pursuit. We must go after them." I saw the panic in the prince's face as he looked up to his father.

"Why have you not ordered a pursuit?" He practically screams at him and I notice Thranduil twitch before Legolas decides to take matters into his own hands, first by walking away from us. I felt myself stuck and totally immobile inside the throne room when Lord Elrond enters. Of course there was no reason to explain to him, with the expression on his face he probably already knew.

"Legolas. Stay." He had given the prince a direct command and the prince hesitates before reluctantly stopping halfway to the door.

"Thranduil." He gives Thranduil a stern look which Thranduil returns. I felt the anger fume inside me. Why were they not doing anything? I steady my hand that supported Lindethiel and face the two Lords in front of me who were talking in low whispers.

"I am assuming that you and talking of strategy and battle plans?" I intrude not wanting to wait no further and was greeted by the cold glares of the two lords, who I happen to care for dearly, making me all the more agitated. They ignore me as they continue to speak in whispers. I hear a squeal of a boot and turn to see Legolas already on his way out of the door.

"Legolas." Thranduils voice echoed through the room, and Legolas stops to turn and look at his father. His piercing eyes matching his.

"Do not go after her as reckless as you have the last time." His voice practically slices through the air, as Legolas' jaw clenched. Legolas remains quiet as I felt a pair of eyes on me. Lord Elrond was looking at me and I felt guilty under his gaze, not wanting to notice the unwanted attention I was having I diverted my attention to Lindethiel who was also watching the scene before us.