Chapter 15: A spark, a reason

Thranduils POV

What had that been just a while ago? She had insulted me, disrespected me, disobeyed my orders and even had the nerve to come into my throne room to apologize and ended up insulting me again and yet I had the nerve to just...

I cannot even imagine what would have happened. If she just inched but a bit towards me. I let out a sigh, how horrible it is to think that I may be somewhat attracted to that sad excuse of a soldier. Either way, I could not deny she had sparked an interest in me that I have not felt in a long time. I sink in lower in my bath, letting the hot water cover every inch of skin in my body. I close my eyes, remembering the days when Mirkwood had still been an interesting place. A beautiful safe haven filled with trees with leaves so green and air that filled your lungs with such sweetness you would never want to leave.

After I finish my bath, I change into clothes that are more comfortable and head out of my chambers to have my routine walk around the palace. I walk silently, maids and servants make way for me bowing in acknowledgement and avoiding my eyes. Whatever fear I instilled in them was good for my kingdom, at least everything was in order. Everyone knew of their place and contributed to the society, everything moved with a purpose. Everyone followed rules, that is how my kingdom stays solidified. Order. Something of which Mantheniel lacked. I find myself irritated as to why she could not be just like the rest of the elleth's in my kingdom. I breathe out a frustrated sigh just as I turn the corner towards the courtyard. My feet stop at their tracks as soon as I realized whom it was sitting outside, her face angled towards the sky. She appeared to be sleeping for her eyes were closed. Foolish girl, does she think she is immune to the harsh winter cold? And wearing a dress such as that. Lord Elrond would have my head if she was not taken care of in my kingdom. I observe her for a moment; her pale skin glowing under the moon light was such contrast to the amber color of her hair. The dress suited her perfectly making me wonder why she would not wear them from time to time. A sly smile spreads across my lips, thinking of the many ways I can do to infuriate her. To have those blazing eyes look to me which such distaste again. What a challenge.

"You can just go approach her instead of watching her from the shadows. You are king, you know. My lord."

I spin around to be greeted by a smiling Falasdir, his head high in a cocky way. He had always addressed me this way, he was, after all my late wife's brother. I stare at him challengingly for a moment, before taking a step forward.

"And what makes you think I would want to approach her?" I ask, using the same tone of voice I would use to a normal soldier.

He shrugs his shoulders making me raise a brow at him. He walks pass me, his eyes now fixed on Mantheniel who had still not moved from her recent position.

"She is a bit different is she not?" He asks, his eyes glued on to her as if she was some kind of Elven treasure waiting to be taken away. I found it irritating, the way he looked at her.

"Are you fond of her?" I reply, making him chuckle lightly under his breath. Although I hardly found anything amusing to what I had said.

"Are you?" He asks back and I could not help but feel insulted. Knowing how I could not ever love anyone more than I have loved his sister but even so, I find myself unable to give a response. When I offered none he smiles at me, watching me from the corner of his eyes. I turn around to walk away from him, not wanting to discuss about the topic any further and I wanted to know why I could not say 'I was not' instead of seeming guilty like I did.

Yes, she was an interesting elleth. Such strength, character and uniqueness in physical aspects but she lacked order, respect and everything that Rivendell elves were known for. Nevertheless, why did it have to be Falasdir to ask such a thing? Of all people! I was consumed with my thoughts that I was not aware of where I was going only to find myself standing in front of the library. I had not been in there for so long; it had been my wife's favorite place in the palace. It was hers and hers alone. My eyes linger on the golden doorknobs that glistened lightly due to the rust it had collected through the years. The library was still being taken care of. Cleaned and dusted off, to preserve the books but after all these years, I still could not go inside. My hands float above the knobs in hesitation before I drop them to my sides again, turning left, I walk away from the library leaving the sad memories of her behind.

I pass by the courtyard again on my way back just to see if she was foolish enough to actually sleep out in the open where the cold air can literally bite a human's skin off to find the place she had sat on empty. All that was left was the memory of her glowing under the moonlight, her hair on fire. The disappointment I felt upon not seeing her troubled me as I walked towards my chambers.

------

Authors note: Sorry for the kindofshort update. Yes, yes. I know, Falsdir being the late queens brother sort of just came to me as I wrote this. Do you think it makes things complicated? or is it a good thing?

Anyway, he finally feels it! His attraction to Mantheniel. Finally. *whew*