Chapter 11: A kings debt

Thranduils POV

When I heard the news of my son almost getting injured by spiders I was filled with rage that I had to retreat to my chambers to prevent me from injuring anyone I would regret later on. What I had not anticipated was he would be saved by the elleth called Mantheniel. Whom I have met only once. My request to spar with her was immediately answered by Lord Elrond, without even a second's thought. Either way, I was thankful she had been present when my son had entered the forest. I could not imagine what might have happened if she did not. If it were not for her or my son's plea, most of the scouts I had ordered to clear the forest would have been banished.

I run a hand across my face; Mantheniel had been asleep for three days now. The poison travelled too fast into her system the healers had kept her under their care for 24 hours straight, afraid that if they stopped the poison would have reached her heart. I was relieved when they told me she was going to be well, and that her body had fought the poison almost as if it had a mind of its own. She had done so much, without her even aware of it. I take off my cloak remembering the events that happened as soon as Mantheniel was brought into the healing rooms.

Legolas and I had a talk, first he had told me of what happened and how Mantheniel was the reason, he was still alive. Next, he had asked me for permission to do what he wanted, as prince of Mirkwood and future king; he wanted to rule the kingdom with me. How could I refuse? Lastly, he had told me about what he had realized in Rivendell. He did not love Tauriel, it was merely admiration and that he was determined to focus on being a great ruler before he would think about pledging himself to anyone. All of which I happily agreed on. The only thing that was important to me was he was home and he was actually speaking to me as if I was his father and not the king. A lot has changed since she came into our lives. I often thought she was some kind of star blessing us with luck. I was buried deep in my thoughts when Legolas joins me in my chambers.

"She is awake, Adar. (Father)" He states, watching me from the door. I nod my head at him and he leaves, it was still something we were getting used to. After that, I call on to one of my guards, Falasdir, to escort Mantheniel to the throne room where I can properly thank her.

I take my cloak from the chair and proceed to the throne room, walking briskly up the steps and placing the cloak on the chairs arms before taking a seat. A few moments later, the doors open welcoming in Falasdir and Mantheniel. She looked rather different from the last time I saw her. Her hair was loose, cascading down her shoulders and back. Her hair itself was of unnatural color. She had on a simple white dress that was probably made in a hurry for her. She kept her head down, echoing Faladirs steps until they were before me. I felt a slight irritation as to why she did not even look at me but evidently glanced up to look at Falasdir as I dismissed him.

"You would not even grace the king with your eyes, Mantheniel?" I say, the irritation seeping through my words. I hear her let out a breath before she raised her head to face me. They truly were captivating eyes, odd, but beautiful nonetheless.

"Forgive me, my lord." She says, her voice echoing through the room. The strength in her voice, however, did not match the strength of her heart as each erratic beat enter my ears. Somehow, I did not like the fact that she feared me.

"There is no need to fear me." I reassure her, standing up from my throne. I descend the stairs hearing her heart beat slow-down. Our eyes continue to lock into each other as if we were in some contest and she was not accepting defeat.

"The king is quite intimidating." She comments managing to give me a slight smile. I take the time to look at her more closely. She looked different from the last time, trading her tunic and pants for a dress that suited her. She was quite beautiful with a sharp nose, full lips and fair complexion. She was bound to be the talk of the town. And with those eyes, so unnaturally captivating. So full of challenge. I feel her squirm under my gaze as my eyes unconsciously travel down the bare skin of her neck, lingering on the hollow curve at the bottom of her throat as her chest rose and fell in rhythm with her breathing.

"You yourself, in that dress, is quite compelling." I say almost unconsiously. Surprise appeared in both of our faces, as I myself had not expected to compliment her. Suddenly aware I had been staring too long, I snap my eyes down to her injured leg, which she had tried to hide. She shifted her weight to her other leg discreetly, but not discreet enough. I fought the urge to smile.

"I am indebted to you." I tell her as my mind travels to my son who was safe and sound thanks to her.

"A king is never indebted to anyone, my lord. The honor of being able to protect your son is enough for me." She says and I could not help but find it amusing. I smile despite it all and meet her eyes again.

"You really are quite interesting."

------------

I dismiss Mantheniel and tell her to visit the healers before she heads to her chambers to ask for medicine for her foot, telling her that her limping came unnoticed. She had thanked me with a slight bow after looking totally embarassed and walked away, my eyes following her retreating figure until she was gone.

I make my way to the topmost part of the palace, a place that had a view of the lonely mountain. When I arrive there I was surprised to find Legolas, standing alone watching the mountain from afar. The cold air of winter greets me as I walk over to him.

"How did you know mom was the one?"

His question catches me off guard; he never asked questions about his mother. I was mostly at fault for this because I myself had refused to talk about her. I stand quietly beside him for a moment, remembering how I had met his mother. It was, of course, an arranged marriage made by my father. She was a princess from a faraway kingdom whose father had been kind and gracious to my own. I had not really loved her at first, she knew her way with a bow, a talent Legolas had possesed.

"I knew it the moment we went to a battle together." I tell him, he remains focused on the mountain as I continue my tale.

"We were still young then. An arranged marriage, althought Elrond already knew of our fate." I continue remembering how Elrond had been the one to tell our fathers that we should meet.

"We went to battle with our fathers, a small war really. I fell in love with her kindness and love of adventure." I smile remembering how she would often compete with me, laughing as she won.

"But how did you know it was her?" He aks, his eyes now looking into mine.

"I just did." I answer; he looks away from me, staring again into the scene before him. Why was he asking me this all of a sudden?

"Elves only fall in love once, right?" His question got me curious but I decided not to question him and just answer whatever I could.

"Yes, except in one instance where the Valar would grant you a new love if they found you deserving." I explain, remembering the texts I once read about one High Elf that remarried after his first wife was killed.

"Would you? If you were given their blessing?"

"That is something I do not see happening for a long time." I tell him and he nods his head. The death of his mother had hardened my heart. I could not imagine being in the position of risking losing someone, I loved again. He was the only thing that I held dear on middle earth, and I hope by the Valar that he knew it. Immortality would mean nothing without my son.

----

Authors note: The picture of the dress is how I imagined Mantheniels dress would be. Only simpler. You may have noticed (of course you have) that I made a sort of back story on Thranduils wife. It plays an important role in my whole plot so yeah, I invented a fictional story for her. Ta-dahh!

Anyways, yes. Thranduil still doesn't feel his attraction to Mantheniel but he will so bare with me! I promise it'll be worth it.

I'd be happy to take any comments or suggestions regarding anything from my story to lord of the rings and the hobbit itself. So feel free to type that in here. :D

Again, thank you for the support. :)