Chapter 44: Light

Mantheniels POV

We ride fast back to Mirkwood. When Tauriel had spoken that it was possible to save him with the right herbs, I wasted no time as I placed him on a horse and let the horse run. I cared for nothing and only focused on the faint beating of his heart, already threatening to give up its fight.

Hot tears filled my vision as the voices behind me seem to be more distant than everything else.

I will not let you die.

I was filled with heavy relief as the Kingdom came into view. When I arrived at the borders the gates opened as Turwaithiel ran to greet us, the smile on her face faded as her eyes landed upon the elf with me.

"What happened?" She asked and I get off the horse, the panic and desperation almost flowing out of me.

"Please, he is dying. You can heal him cant you? Elrond has thought you. I have seen what you can do." I gasp out desperately as her eyes seem to border over me with more concern than I thought possible. Her eyes flicked over to the body before she nods her head.

"I will try my best." She says in half a whisper before Tauriel managed to stand beside me to help him off the horse.

"I will assist you." She says to Turwaithiel who nods her head. I watch them go, bringing with them the almost lifeless body. I feel a presence stand beside me and I look towards her slowly, as if afraid of what I might see in her human eyes.

"You think he will be okay?" She asks me and I felt my heart drop at the sound of her voice. I take her hands in mine and squeeze it.

"I believe so. You must too, mellon nin." I assured her and she gives me a soft nod before following the others into the palace. It was then I felt the tiredness hit me. The world had swayed a little as the prince passes by me with a concerned look and I feel myself drained as I staggered to keep myself up.

I give in as two strong arms wrapped around my shoulder, steadying me. I cry out, for I have not mourned for anyone in a long time.

"He cant die." I almost cry out but it comes out broken as I felt darkness slowly claim me.

"Rest, Mantheniel."

And with those words, darkness had won.

---

Thranduils POV

The devastation in her eyes were reflected on mine. I watch her sleep, she had been waking up- thrashing and screaming for someone and all I could do was hold her down until she had calmed down. The silver circlet on her hand was the only thing saving her from the pain of her scars. The pain that I could feel.

I run a thumb across her cheek, where an injury was healing. She had not even thought about mentioning it, all her thoughts and concern where on Falasdir. Who was in worse shape than any of us. She had looked so vulnerable and so pained. Was this what Galadriel had meant? If I let her in, will she never forgive me or herself if -- The way she had reacted to Falasdir scared me beyond comprehension. It was like she was even willing to trade places with him.

My sweet fire. Ready to burn for anyone. Her loyalty and bravery was something I had expected. Especially her willingness for sacrifice. What will I do with you, meleth nin? If you continue to be so reckless and so kind?

I feel her stir before her eyes flash open.

"Falasdir?" She screams in panic and I hush her with an arm on her shoulder as she tries to get up. Her wild eyes find mine and for a moment I felt like she did not recognize me before those fiery eyes were filled with stinging tears.