Chapter 28: Pursuits

Thranduils POV

I pace around the room, aware of Elronds eyes following me. I grab on to my goblet and pour myself wine before I turn to face him. He had asked for a private meeting before meeting with the intruders and so I had given him one. He watches me patiently as I take a sip and finally give him my full attention.

"What is is that you had wanted to speak about so privately?" I inquire, giving him the slightest of a brow raise. He seems to think about something for a moment, his eyes narrowing and his lips a flat line on his face. After a few moments, he finally speaks- his voice low almost as if he was whispering.

"It is about Mantheniel." He states and he watches me for a reaction which I do not give. I continue to look at him questioningly, urging him to get to the point.

"Have you ever noticed something different about her, when she gets mad or fights? Kills?" He walks towards the edge of the room we are in. The view before us was the lonely mountain, even that mountain gave me memories I wish to forget. I focus on Elronds question, bringing the thought of the flaming haired elleth in my mind. Not that she has not been the only thing in it for a while. I felt a small tug in my chest, sadness, at the thought of her forgetting what she had said last night. But the feeling only lasted for a moment- a distant breeze passing by the forest. Its for the best. I burry the memories of last nights encounter and focus back on the question at hand. What could Elrond possibly mean? The memory of her getting riled up and killing orcs came to and I realized that her eyes would often change in color when she fought. It was not obvious but it was there- I have seen the savageness and uncontrollable rage in those eyes for those were the kind of eyes that always met mine. I hide a chuckle before turning to Elrond whose gaze was upon the mountain.

"Yes. It would seem that those savage eyes of hers are her favorite eyes to use on me." I reply, I offer him a cup which he takes.

"You see, when we found her that many years ago. There was something odd." He starts and I remain quiet- finally hearing the story of the great flame of the dragon.

"We found her in the city called Calaer, it is near the ocean therefore near our borders. They were a peaceful bunch. Barely causing trouble and they kept to themselves."

"When the Dragon attacked, they were ill prepared and so were we. We had not anticipated it. You do know that she was the only survivor, somehow?" He stops to ask me and I give him a slight nod.

"Well, I had thought that was the case until I realized that they had stables. And there were no horses, so maybe some of her people escaped." He continues, I start getting more curious as my wine is forgotten. Something tells me Elrond has been keeping a lot to himself.

"When I found her, her house was the only one who had an underground room. Which is kind of odd, do you not think so?"

I continue to stare at him as he starts pacing around the room, a troubled look on his face.

"She is very unique. Learned how to hold a sword at the age of 50- has good sense of survival and even heals twice as fast as a normal elleth."

Hm. I did not know any of that.

"You see, I have read a lot about our kind. And I have a feeling that she-" he hesitates, bringing the cup to his lips but not drinking from it. He puts it back down and looks at me for a moment, his face serious.

"I have a feeling that the people of Calaer had been hiding a secret."

"What kind of secret?" We had both forgotten our wine, the cold air seeping through the open walls.

"They had a drow elf in their territory."

I raise a brow at him, where was he getting at?

"And I think that that drow, is Mantheniels mother." He finishes, his voice barely above a whisper. I did not know what to expect but I was caught off guard by Elronds conclusions. Mantheniel? A half drow?