Chapter 29: Memories, Scars

Falasdirs POV

"They are fast, that much I can tell." Lindethiel calls out beside me. We were in pursuit of the prisoners, one of which had Mantheniel on his back. Lindethiel was correct for one of them had a full grown elleth on his back and could still run faster than a horse. Tauriel runs beside me, her eyes focusing on the target before us. The prince as well had joined our reckless pursuit and without a doubt, the king would be joining us shortly. The rumors of Mantheniel coming out of his room this morning had reached my ears before the intruders even came. I sigh at the thought, if I did not know any better I would think Thranduil is being foolish again.

"Hey lover boy, stop day dreaming we are almost upon them!" Lindethiel calls with a tease as we lock on to half of the intruders. They had probably stayed as a distraction for the one that had Mantheniel was still running in haste. I try to recall what had happened moments before the pursuit began. We were outside the throne room, waiting for the arrival of the king and Lord Elrond. Mantheniel had been pacing around, growing impatient as Turwaithiel tried to sooth her and get her to sit back down. Lindethiel had been too busy obviously staring at me with an eyebrow raised as Tauriel joined us. It was when Mantheniel got to the window when the sound started. It sounded like a flute being played, a calming tone that made Mantheniel stiffen. It sounded like some sort of lullaby. Without hesitation Mantheniel had her head out of the window in search of the source when suddenly out of nowhere someone grabs her, pulling her out the window in one go she had not even been given the chance to scream as the attacker did something to render her unconscious. I am filled with dread the moment we stood face to face with the enemy. Their faces hidden in masks, behind them I could see the faint outline of Mantheniels blue dress already disappearing into the woods.

"Where are you taking her?" Lindethiel hisses as she aims her arrow at one of them, who appears to be the leader. They merely laugh, mocking us most probably which causes Lindethiel to get angrier. Now I see why she and Mantheniel are close.

"If you do not answer, I will kill you right this instant for you are nothing but a waste of time." She threatens, one of the enemies accepts her challenge as he steps forward a grin on his face. He swirls his sword in his hands and Lindethiel gives out a soft chuckle.

"You will find that what you are about to do is very unwise." She lowers her arrow as the elf before us lunges forward. She dodges the attack swiftly and even has a smile on her face as a dagger reveals itself in one of her hands, she turns and stabs the elf on his leg, arm and stomach rendering him immobile. She keeps the knife back hidden beneath her sleeve as all of us stare at the scene. Even I could not help but be impressed. She licks her lips in victory and even gives me a mocking wink before turning to the others who were now unsure if they wanted to go face to face with any of us.

"I do not kill elves for my mother taught me better than to kill half of my kind." She teases, preparing her bow and arrow again. No one was attacking which got me wondering. It was then I realized they were merely buying time. I curse under my breath as I run forward, avoiding being blocked and continue my pursuit. Moments later Lindethiel is beside me. I glance back to find Tauriel and Legolas in battle with five of the elves we had ignored and left behind.

"Remind me to never piss you off." I call to Lindethiel who gives me a shrug.

"Too late. You always piss me off now." She replies with a smile. It was enough to tell me how dangerous she really was. When we reach a clearing we find that our attackers had stopped. Mantheniel laid on the ground, limp and unmoving. Anger boils up inside me as I sense Lindethiel growing tense.

"What have you done to her you fools!" She spits, already preparing for a kill.

"I have done nothing that would hurt her." One of them answers, his back was to us as he was staring down on Mantheniel. Who was he? One of them who had been hiding in the trees steps out, his hands placed in front of him like a shield.