Chapter 41.1: Flashes of courage

Authors note: Please forgive me. I haven't been updating. I am so sorry. I had a hard time writing this chapter. Therefore I am so sorry. So, I sort of got carried away and decided to divide this chapter into two because it got too long. lol I hope you guys don't mind. Haha, anyways here is part 1! Enjoy! I'll update the part two a little while after this. :)

Mantheniel's POV

I stare at Lindethiel's sleeping figure. I watch her chest rise and fall in rhythm. She was at peace and I wish I could keep her there. Safe in the confinements of the stone walls but that dream was far gone for war was upon us. The kind of war that brought with it its malice. The kind of malice that was slowly creeping itself into middle-earth. I changed into a nightgown shortly after Lindethiel had thrown up on me. She had drank too much and moved so much that her body could not take any more of the ales effects. I stand up slowly and fetch a shawl before heading out of the room we were given. I walked barefooted on the cold ground as the silence of the night welcomed me. The new Calaer was beautiful. A part of me wanted to stay here forever and when Elunir had invited me to do so I almost jumped at the opportunity but I am needed elsewhere. I found out that I did not have the heart to leave my present life behind. I had an obligation to Lord Elrond and a responsibility to Turwaithiel. Besides, I highly doubt Lindethiel would ever want to settle here with me or anywhere for that matter. And I could not live here with nothing but memories of the past to hold on to. No, I was not the type.

I descend a fleet of stairs before my ears catch a sound of laughter. A laughter of a child and I round the corner, my feet barely touching the ground. I was frozen in place by what I saw. It was the child, her silver hair swinging as she was running around, chasing whatever it was she saw but that was not what made my breath hitch or my heart palpitate. It was who she was with. His silver hair identical to hers. I stop a gasp from escaping my lips as the little girls runs towards him, showing him what she had caught.

"Ada, Ada! Look!"

Thranduil bends down in level with her as her little hands open to reveal a single white butterfly that almost looked like a star by the way it glowed. Ada? My heart practically melts at the smile Thranduil gives her as she smiles up at him.

"It is beautiful, meleth nin (my love). Just like you."

The little girl shines like he had just given her the best compliment ever as she turns to face me. My heart stops as the vision in front of me starts to fade. Her smile still plastered on her lips.

"Just like Naneth, right Ada?" She asks as Thranduil turns to face me. I stare back at him as he smiles and I knew it was all in my head. There was no doubt I was seeing things, it must be the ale. Or the weird air in this part of the city.

"Yes, just like your Naneth." Was all Thranduil replies before a hand falls on my shoulder making me jump.

"I am sorry, Mantheniel. I did not mean to frighten you."

I turn to face her, her red copper hair turning dark by the lack of light. When she sees my face her eyes grow wide.

"What is the matter, mellon nin? Why are you crying?" Tauriel had a hand on my cheek as she wiped a stubborn tear away. I had not been aware of my outburst of emotions at the scene before me. When the child had smiled at me I had understood who she really was and what she meant. She really was my daughter. Our daughter. Visions as clear as this only meant one thing, it was a future that had already been planned and it was the future I was willing to throw away, in hopes that I may save myself from the horrible tragedy that would fall after. A daughter.

"Thranduil, where is he?" I ask, without giving her an answer to her question. By the look in her eyes she had understood a part of my sudden question. A soft smile plays on her lips as she frees my face of the loose strands of my hair.