|| Battle Scars

42

      "Mikasa! Eren!" I ran and ran, almost stumbling at my feet upon seeing the two kids sprinting toward my direction. The aches and bruises on my muscles, the sore feeling on my thighs didn't matter. When I saw the two of them, safe and sound, I ignored all of my pain. 

Eren had carried Mikasa on her back, her arms wrapped around the rim of his neck while she silently wept. The black haired girl hid her face under the soft red fabric around her neck. 

       "You two!" Once I reached them, it was as if my body had moved on its own. I embraced them in a tight hug, my lips not moving because I couldn't speak. Their knees weakened as their strength had already given up, forcing them unto the ground.

       "M-Mr.Hannes..." Eren spoke quietly, almost inaudible because of how nimble his voice was. "He's dead. I saw the titan that ate our mom alive. It ate Mr.Hannes," he sobbed, round tears rolling over his red cheeks as his beaded emerald eyes wept. My lips trembled with fear and terror. 

The same titan that had killed mother, that ate her right in front of my eyes... was back. My mind raced back to that grim memory—watching it eat her alive, her limbs cut off from the rest of her body, while I was on the verge of saving her. And now, Hannes is dead? I had not known him for long but fuck—I wanted to drink a damn beer with him. I wanted to laugh at our boring memories when we thought nothing would change. I wanted to—

       I wanted to relive that past. My heart ached terribly. For these kids, he was their guardian. When I was in a coma, he had taken care of them. But now he's gone. 

I helped them on a horse, making sure that they still had the energy to ride it. Unfortunately, most of our horses had died. Not only that, only thirty percent of the MP's that came with us returned. They all look petrified, their faces stricken with horror. I hated their guts but I had to rethink. This was what they were afraid of. Not everyone was willing to throw their lives away. I'm sure they all have families at home, kids at home, siblings to reach out to. Why was I so one-sided? 

       Our horses galloped for a few hours, reaching our destination at night. The stars had disappeared, the moon hid itself behind the clouds, and the sky was so dark. It was as if our gloom had reached the large skies. The tall gates loomed over us as we entered the walls of Wall Rose. 

The Military Police, Garrison troops and Commander Pixis welcomed us back. Warm yellow lights of torches stood tall on the sides, making it clearer that they had been waiting for the news for a while. Pixis's brows raised as soon as I helped Erwin walk forward. 

       "Bring the medics, quick!" The commander ordered. 

       "I've brought several news to tell you, commander," Erwin said, his blue eyes tired and exhausted after everything that had occurred. 

       "You never fail to surprise me, Erwin Smith. Even with one arm less, you're as calm as ever. You're starting to freak me out." The two managed to share chuckles after joking around. Everyone gathered around to see what had happened but before medics took care of Erwin, he told everyone what had happened. 

I turned around and walked away to gather some air. I was relieved that Mikasa and the others went ahead to get their wounds taken care of. Now, all I had to do was stay for some duties Erwin left me with. That guy, even if he'd have no arms or legs, I'm sure he'd still be the same. His tenacity astonishes me. My eyes darted toward all directions to look for one man who I had not seen in hours. 

Where could that shorty be? 

         "Looking for me?" I raised a brow when I heard his voice from behind, silently getting startled bu his voice. I tilted my head and smirked as I turned around.