Kate & Rafe Playlist: Part 3

Listen it's not my fault that so many songs suit them. It's just how music is. So yeah, here's part three. Song titles are in italics, explanations for them are underneath. Please comment if you have a thought for question - I'd love to hear it.

Six Feet Under - Billie Eilish

I love me a doomed romance song and who is more tragic than Kate and Rafe? No one. This is for their doomed from the start love.

Fire On Fire - Sam Smith

The sound of this song is fantastic and the passion, the disaster, the pure love between the couple being sung about, it's all so reminiscent of Kate and Rafe, particularly how high in his esteem Rafe holds Kate.

Dancing With The Devil - Demi Lovato 

The vocals on this song are absolutely amazing and I'm obsessed. Anyways, this just has super dark/attracted to the darkness vibes and it's great for my favorite hero/villain ship.

Shadows - Sabrina Carpenter 

I feel like this song really suits Kate's perspective towards Rafe, and how she loves all of him, even his darkness. It reminds me of the quote in TBR when she's going to tell him that it's not just part of him she loves but then things happen and they're interrupted.

Taking Over Me - Evanescence

Evanescence is one of my favorites and their album Fallen is just a dark masterpiece. This song is no exception. This is a really good intertwined-fates and obsessive love song that goes with both sides of the ship's perspective.

Better Place - Citizen Soldier

This is Rafe when Kate is dying and Kate when Rafe dies. It's all their pain that stems from love.

Angels Fall - Breaking Benjamin

These two, these poor, broken kids, they've had to fight so hard to protect each other and survive through everything, and this song just captures that.

Dance With The Devil - Breaking Benjamin

A really interesting theme in TBOB is Rafe/The Dire Magnus and this song captures Kate's relationship with both, realizing that the former has become the latter and it's up to her to deal with it.

It's All Coming Back To Me Now - Celine Dion

This song has some excellent vocals, plus great imagery like 'moments of gold' and 'flashes of light' and just a lot of regret and love and time all mixed together into what really fits the relationship, especially Kate's complicated thoughts on it.

Hoax - Taylor Swift

This song just is so simply dark and I honestly really enjoy it. All the metaphors and the tragedy really just scream Rafe and Kate and the perspective fits Kate so well. Plus there's a line 'you know I left a part of me back in New York' which is very fitting with the story and all.

Angel - Theory Of A Deadman

I like this one for Rafe's thoughts on Kate, because Kate really is angelic and I think both I and Rafe believe that. So this song is perfect for how much he loves her.

The Other Side - Ruelle

Another ballad for tragic and doomed lovers! This song is very sad and mournful and also mentions a bunch of concepts that we love and hate all at once, like fate and star crossed romance.

Bruises - Lewis Capaldi 

Here's one for the love that doesn't end well but that is desired anyways, the love that Kate and Rafe can't bring themselves to regret, no matter how tragic their story becomes. 

Sad Song - We The Kings ft. Elena Coats

This one may seem tragic from the title but it's actually really sweet and about how much two people love each other and I think it fits the more peaceful and romantic moments for our beloved couple, and their deep affections for one another.

I Scare Myself - Beth Crowley

If this isn't Rafe's pov thinking about himself as a monster and loving Kate, I don't know what is.

Gone - Beth Crowley

This song is Kate's, hands down. It shows her internal strength and her pain at the situation she goes through, and the horror she experiences when the boy she loves and her worst enemy become one.

Not About Angels - Birdy

This song is pretty sweet, up until the last line. It's deep and loving, just like the ship, and angels compare to Kate, but the last line makes it clear that the ending will be tragic, just like it was in TBR.

Slow Dancing In A Burning Room - John Mayer

This is a very Rafe as the Dire Magnus song, with mentions of fire and apocalyptic scenes and no one coming to save the day. And of course the slow dancing even when the world ends suits our favorite couple very well.

My Good Days - Beth Crowley 

So Beth Crowley has a ton of really good songs and so many of them suit Kate and Rafe. Their moments together that were so tender and loving and happy, this feels like Kate reflecting on all that love after Rafe is gone.

Warrior - Beth Crowley 

Here's another song that suits Kate's story very well in terms of her strength and growth and resoluteness in the face of the Dire Magnus while loving Rafe at the same time, even with the darkness inside of him.

Come Alive - Beth Crowley 

Contrary to the previous one, which felt like Kate's pov, this one is Rafe's. The singer compares themself to the darkness and their lover to the light while also being deeply in love. That's very Rafe, don't you think?

How It Ends - Beth Crowley 

This is Kate fighting the Dire Magnus and trying to return Rafe to her at the same time, refusing to believe that this is the way their love story ends. It mentions demons and the love interest (Rafe) being interchangeable, which is quite fitting.

In A Week - Hozier

This song is somehow soft and creepy at once and I just love the mix of death and tender love, decay and staying together forever. It's the dichotomy that does it for me. Honestly it all makes for quite the vibe. 

Clarity - Zedd ft. Foxes

Here's a good one for Kate dealing with the fact that she's fallen for the boy who became her enemy. That's really all I've got to say about it, to be honest it's one of the ones I'm not as big a fan of on this playlist.

Cosmic Love - Florence + The Machine

I'm not sure how this qualifies as both soft and dark but I love the imagery of it and it's just so goddamn weird I had to put it on here. The complex vibe of it is honestly very suiting if Kate and Rafe.

For The Lover That I Lost - Sam Smith

This song is SO SAD so like, naturally it's on here. It's tragic and has fantastic imagery and you know that as a writer I love imagery. It's Kate after all she went through between Rafe becoming the Dire Magnus and then dying to save the world, saying her lady goodbye to his grave at the end of the series.