Oneshot: Double Date

Background: Rafe is alive and dating Kate. Michael and Wilamena are dating too.

Content: Kate x Rafe, Michael x Wilamena. Wilamena comes up with the disastrous idea for a double date. Emma gets into trouble while left home alone.

It was Wilamena's idea. Of course it was. Wilamena was most prone to flights of romantic fancy out of all of them, and she had been so enthusiastic about the idea of a double date. She had first seen the concept on a human TV show she and Michael had tried to watch. After that, she decided she simply HAD to do it.

The others had not been so enthusiastic. Michael had found the idea awkward, not least because he and Wilamena had only been dating for a short time. But he was willing to go along with it because it would make Wilamena so happy. And because he wanted to make Wilamena happy, he had pleaded with his sister and Rafe to get on board with the idea.

Kate had done this as a favor to Michael. Rafe had gone along with it for Kate, as he always would. Both were regretting it as they fidgeted. The diner in town that they had gone to was stiflingly hot, and the conversation so far had been awkward. There was only so much small talk about the unseasonably warm weather one could make before wanting to jump off a cliff.

"So... what'd you all order again?" Michael asked mechanically, trying to start a conversation and make Wilamena happy. Sweat from the bright diner lights trickled down his face as he told himself mentally that this lunch would be over soon.

"A lovely salad with nuts and berries... it sounds like something I would have back home," Wilamena said cheerfully, oblivious to everyone else's misery, "what did you get, bunny?"

"Just a ham and cheese sandwich," Michael mumbled, "you guys?"

Kate and Rafe exchanged looks. Eventually, Kate spoke up, "I got the waffles. I figured I would take advantage of the brunch menu."

"Nice choice," Wilamena said in a way that made her statement genuine, and not just small talk. Somehow, she was having fun with this.

"I just got a piece of cherry pie," Rafe commented idly, reaching over to casually put an arm around Kate.

"For lunch?" Wilamena said in surprise.

Rafe shrugged, "I just was in the mood for some pie." What he didn't say was that if he was going to get through this afternoon, he needed dessert.

"Alright," Michael interjected, "so uh... anyone got any exciting plans... or, uh... anything they wanna talk about?"

"I do," Wilamena singsonged. Rafe sighed heavily. He never thought he would see the day when he wasn't excited to be out with Kate, but having to listen to her brother and Wilamena make small talk was killing his good cheer.

Kate noticed his frown, and whispered, "I know. But it's making them so happy."

Rafe exhaled, "yeah, that's true." And he wanted Michael and Wilamena to be happy. They were both good people who had been through a lot and deserved this time to figure out what they were like when they were at peace. But he wished their self discovery did not involve this double date.

Kate rested her head on his shoulder, anchoring him. They both settled in to listen to Wilamena's long story.

.........

Meanwhile, Emma was home alone, a terrifying notion for all except her. Since Richard and Clare had a work event they had to attend, and her older siblings were out with their dates, Emma had the house to herself. No one was there to tell her what to do or what not to do. Emma was living the life.