Graduation

"Kia, come on, honey, we are going to be late," I hear Raven's voice outside my bedroom

"Coming," I shout, applying some finishing touches to my outfit. I grab my graduation cap and gown and rush outside.

"You look lovely," Raven compliments my outfit. I am wearing a light blue dress with flower decorations, and I braided my hair into two french braids.

I thank her and take a seat beside Keith. He frowns. I raise my eyebrows in a questioning manner.

"Here, your dress is missing this," he says and pins a brooch.

"This is moms favourite brooch," I say, trying not to cry.

"Yeah, I figured you might need it for your special day," he smiles. I hug him and admire the brooch.

"Everyone here? I need answers from four boys and a girl," Blake shouts from the driver's seat.

"Here," we all shout, laughing.

We soon reach school, and Reed, Andrew and I head towards our assigned seats. We meet our friends along the way.

"It's finally here," Ava tells me once I spot her.

"Yeah, we are finally graduating," I say, still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that we are all graduating.

"Are you ready with your speech?" Ava asks me.

"Yeah, but I am nervous,"

"Don't worry. You will do great. You have such a beautiful voice," she assures me.

"Yeah, just don't mess up. That will be embarrassing," Noah intervenes.

"Thanks a lot, you idiot," Ava scolds her boyfriend. I chuckle.

"Please take your seats. The graduation ceremony will be starting soon," We all sit down and get ready for the ceremony. Soon it's time for the valedictory speech.

"Every end has a new beginning. Our role as high school students is coming to an end, and we will be entering the world of adults. Which is not going to be fun," everyone chuckles.

"When I left home two years ago to attend school here as an exchange student, I was not sure what might happen. I was excited and also scared of the new reality. It was my first time being away from my brother. I came prepared to learn, explore, to make new friends. My friends didn't treat me differently just because I was from another country. I had a warm welcome. Every day was an adventure. Bunking classes to pranking the whole school. I am so dead once I finish this speech," I chuckle nervously. Everyone laughs.

"I felt very comfortable here. I was not judged by neighbours for not studying well, which happens commonly in India. The neighbours will know your marks even before you know them" I laugh along with the crowd.

"I was constantly compared to others. I felt free here. I didn't feel like I had to meet everyone's expectations. I was able to study at my own pace. I had constant support from my friends.

One thing that I learned after coming here was, not everybody in this world is kind. People will put others down to make themselves feel better. But what they do not know is how much they are hurting other people. This world would be even more beautiful if we are kind to the person in front of us. That one thing will make a huge difference.

So many people told me that high school is terrible with the bullying and constant pressure, but I had the best time of my life here,"

"From not getting caught after pranking the whole school to getting detention for fighting in the cafeteria, all these were life lessons. Everyone is different, don't try to be someone who you are not to impress other people. Life is short, don't waste it by doing something you are not happy doing. Pursue your dreams even if the whole world says it's going to be difficult. Show them who you truly are,"

"Prove them wrong,"

"Congratulations to all of us who graduated this year. All the best for the future," I finish my speech and get down the stage.

"Amazing work, sparkle" Reed congratulates. I thank him and take my seat.

"Now I will read your names, please come forward and receive your diplomas,"

Names are called, and people receive their diplomas. My friends received theirs too.

"Kiara Tennyson," I walk towards the stage and receive the diploma. I did it. I finished a part of my life. No more highschool

"Congratulations to the graduating class," everyone shouts and throws their graduation caps. I squeal and hug everyone.

"You did it, baby sis. I am so proud of you. Mom and dad would be proud too," Kei congratulates me. After clicking tons of pictures. We head home.

"Guys, I have something to tell you," I say, nervously after I make everyone take a seat in the living room.

"What is it, honey? You can tell us anything," Raven reassures me. I pace around the living room, thinking how I am going to tell them. Be a woman and tell them, Kiara. I give myself a pep talk. Well, here goes nothing.

"I got into the University of Washington," I say and hold my breath. There is pin-drop silence.

"What?" Ryder shouts. Raven comes and hugs me.

"Oh, I am so relieved. I thought you were going to say you had cancer or something," I chuckle.

"We didn't know how to ask you to stay here. Thank God you decided to do your university here," Blake smiles.

"Yeah, we thought you might go back. I am so happy that you stayed," Reed informs me. I nervously look at my brother's reaction to see him smiling.

"I can have three more years of peace from your annoying self. Now that is what I call heaven," he grins. I shake my head and chuckle.

"You can stay here if that is what you want, Kiara," he assures, hugging me.

"Congratulations," Ryder hugs me too.

"We are going to the same college," Andrew shouts.

"No way," I squeal, hugging him.

"Yeah, I got in too," he grins.

"Congrats to both of you," Raven smiles.

"I have to tell you something too," Reed starts.

"I got an offer from a good club in England to play football,"          

                                                     _______________

Kiara finally graduated. What do you think is going to happen to their relationship. Remember Jesus loves you.

Love
Author 😍