A Dreamy Night

"Kate, I will cut off your limbs if you take me to another store to look for a dress that I don't even need," I warn Kate

"But Kiara. What if you accidentally spill juice on the dress? What if someone steps on your dress, and it rips? What if a crow decides to dirty your dress? What if there is an alien invasion, and you get caught because you cannot run in that dress? What if som-"

"What the heck are you even talking about?" I look at my best friend incredulously.

"All of that might come true. I can't lose you to an alien. What if you get eaten?" she cries.

"I think you are spending too much time with Noah," Ava pipes in, taking a bite of her ice cream.

"Kate, all that you mentioned is not going to happen. I will be extra careful if that makes you happy, ok?" I assure her.

"Come on. We still need to buy you heels," Ava drags me.

"Oh, great, are you going to make me shop for makeup next?" I question in a joking manner. They both remain silent.

"Hell no. I am going back to India this instant," I try to run off. The keyword is; try. Ava catches me and drags me to a store.

"Don't be suspicious. Don't be suspicious. Don't be suspicious. Don't be suspicious. Kiara, just walk normally, and no one will know that you are running away from your best friends," I talk to myself.

'How did I even get stuck with you?' winter asks, placing her head in her hands.

'Don't worry, I ask myself the same question every day,' I reassure her.

I successfully exit the shop when someone catches the back of my shirt and drags me back.

"You know I have a lot of experience catching Noah, who tries to run away after he goes to Starbucks and orders the wrong drink for me,"

"That is something he would totally do," I mumble.

"Yeah, so running away is not going to work with me," After a lot of tantrums and whining,

"FREEDOM," I shout, entering my car.

"We will come to your house at 4 in the evening, and we will get ready tomorrow," Kate informs me.

"Why so early? Dance starts at 7:30," I question, drinking my iced coffee.

"We need time to chase you around the house and tie you to a chair to apply makeup," Ava says like it is the most obvious thing in the world. A shiver goes down my spine, imagining what is going to happen tomorrow.

"So, what colour is your dress?" Reed questions when I reach home.

"Don't worry, I got you covered" I hand him the tie I got for him to match the dress.

"The colour is so beautiful. I can't wait to see how you look," he states, placing a kiss on my forehead. I smile.

"I am thankful that you guys go so far as to tie me down to apply makeup," I say sarcastically, looking at the piece of rope they brought with them the next day.

"What are best friends for?" Ava grins.

"Yay!!" I fake cheer.

"But I am thankful that I got to spend the past one and a half years with you guys," I smile.

"It's just prom, Kiara. You don't need to make me emotional," Kate sniffles, hiding her eyes.

"I am not crying. Nope, my eyes are just sweating," Ava says, and she also covers her eyes.

I hug them. After graduation, I don't know where all of us will be. We might be together or countries apart. But I will never forget the time I spent here.

"Ava, I don't think we will be needing that rope," Kate informs Ava after she sees me sitting, obediently waiting for them to experiment on my face.

"Kiara, are you feeling better?" Ava questions placing a hand on my forehead. I swat it away.

"I am great. I want to look good for Reed today," I mumble, feeling ashamed.

"What are you, and what have you done with Kiara?" Kate exclaims. I chuckle.

"We are going to make you look extraordinary," Raven winks at me, entering my room. I give her a thankful smile.

Three hours later. We are all dressed. I look at myself in the mirror, and I can't believe it.

"I look beautiful. Thank you," I thank all three of them.

My dress is a high low pattern. It reaches my knees, and the backside touches the floor. The colour starts as a bright berry blue, and it fades as it goes down.

My hair has blue highlights in the end, and it is perfectly curled and styled. I have metallic gold eyes with a dark tip that makes my brown eyes pop. My cheeks have a faint glow to them because of the peach-coloured blush. My lips look warm pink due to the lip gloss.

I look at my friends. Kate is wearing a strapless black dress that reaches well below her knees. She also has a smokey eye, and she applied a little bit of blush and added lipgloss. She braided and tied her hair into a bun.

Ava is wearing a peach-coloured off-shoulder dress. She used dark eyeshadow, which makes her naturally blue eyes pop, and applied dark, bold red lipstick. She also curled her hair.

They both look amazing.

"Kiara, we are going down. Come soon," Kate and Ava leave me with Raven.

After they leave, Raven places a beautiful necklace around my neck.

"My mom gave it to me when I was around your age. She told me to give it to my daughter on her wedding day. But I did not give birth to a daughter. Instead, I got one. This is very special to me, Kiara, and I am giving it to you since you are very special to me," she says, smiling at me.

"Thank you so much," I thank her, trying not to cry. She pulls me into a hug. Mom, I am not alone. I have a motherly figure in my life, so you don't have to worry about me now.

"Come on, let's get you downstairs," Raven says, placing a small kiss on my forehead.

I go downstairs, rubbing my hands together to reduce my nervousness. I see Reed talking with my brother. He sees me and stops mid-conversation, and walks towards me, never breaking eye contact. I feel a strong sense of deja vu.

"You look breathtaking," he says, slipping the courage.

"You look amazing too," he is wearing a white tuxedo and the blue tie that I gave him.

"Ahem, so.." Keith brings the attention to himself.

"Take care of my sister. I trust her in your hands. She tends to be a bit reckless, so keep her in check," I roll my eyes.

"You look beautiful," Andrew smiles, hugging me. Andrew looks very healthy. He is not the same boy I first saw, and that makes me very happy.

"Come on, guys, the limo is here," Blake informs everyone. We enjoy the ride and reach school.

The theme is a starry night. The gymnasium is so beautifully decorated, with stars and the moon. We all dance to the songs and enjoy the food.

"May I have this dance?" Reed asks, asking for my hand, once a slow song starts playing. I place my hands in his, and we move to the dance floor.

I place my head on his shoulder and slowly move according to the song. I look at all my friends dancing with their partners.

My eyes find Andrew, and he looks uncomfortable. Kate tries calling out his name, and suddenly he falls to the ground, clutching his chest.

            ______________________

No, Andrew, my baby. What do you think happens? Remember Jesus loves you.

Love
Author 😍