Chapter Sixty-One

The air is warm. A breeze blows through my hair, pushing it out of my face. I am lying on something soft, yet prickly. I open my eyes slowly, one by one, blinking. The sun overhead filters through the leaves of the tree I'm lying under, casting funky shadows over my still form.

"Is that..." I hear someone on my left gasp. I lift my head, following the sound of the voice. My eyes fall upon a young face, full of freckles. He reaches up, running his fingers through his dark hair.

"Marco?" I say, sitting up.

Another man steps up behind him.

"I didn't think we'd see you so soon." He says, sounding sad, but with a faint smile.

"Mike!" I climb to my feet, rushing over to them. "What... what is this place?"

I peer around at the area we're in. I'm on a patch of grass under a wondrous tree, surrounded by big mansions on a circular street. I see many cadets standing outside, talking to each other and embracing.

I see Petra and Oluo sitting under a tree together down the road.

"But... you guys are dead." I stutter.

"You're right. This is where we go after we die. This is our paradise."

I am taken aback. That must mean... I didn't survive the Titan attack.

"It's okay, it's a lot to take in at first. But we'll make sure you settle in. You won't be sad, here."

"You have a home waiting for you." Mike adds. "Come on, we'll show you."

We pass Thomas and Mina, the girl sitting in his lap, his arms around her waist.

Gelgar and Nanaba come to meet me with open arms.

"Welcome home." Nanaba whispers, her voice full of warmth.

"Hey, (Y/n)," Hannes calls. "How are things down below?"

"They were tense."

"Hopefully things are better now." He says.

"I don't think it would've been resolved that quickly."

"I've only been here for about a month. Time here moves quicker than it does on earth." Hannes explains.

"Here's your home." Mike says, as we come to a stop.

I walk up to the door slowly, my hand pausing before I turn the knob.

"Go on."

I take a deep breath before entering, pausing when I hear a meow. I peer down at the little kitty. It runs up to me, brushing up against my leg.

"Patches?" I mutter, squatting down to look at the little kitty's collar. The name is crudely carved into a piece of metal.

Patches was my childhood pet. She died of old age.

I pick her up, stroking her soft fur as I wander through the house. I come to a glass door at the back that leads out to a porch. A glass table sits on the deck, with four metal chairs sitting around it. I recognize the table.

I step outside, touching the glass surface, remembering my dream with Levi and the kids. I miss them.

I sit down with Patches and peer into the backyard, enjoying the feeling of air on my skin. I have never felt safer and at ease.

I peer off into the distance. There are no walls. The horizon is full of life.

I let my head fall back and close my eyes.

Though I miss my family, I still feel at ease.

Patches hops off my lap and begins to wander. I get to my feet and follow her. She takes me down a winding path with flowers on every side. I see a woman ahead, her head down, a bouquet of tulips in hand. She wears a dark brown dress with a green apron.

"Aunt Beth?" I call

"Aunt Beth?" I call.

She lifts her head, her eyes landing on me. She smiles, wrinkles forming around her eyes. The begins to run to me, her arms open, her body growing younger with every step. She throws her arms around me, holding me tight.

"(Y/n). Darling. It is so good to see you." Her voice is warm, musical. She smells like honey and bread. This is the way my aunt was in life.

"If you're here, does that mean... mom and dad are here?"

"Yes. I was just on my way to find them. Come with me, love."

She starts down the path, pausing for a moment. She breaks into a sprint. She laughs ecstatically.

"I haven't been able to do this in 50 years!"

"You're so beautiful, aunt Beth." I tell her, amazed at her youthful beauty. She was gorgeous, even as an older woman.

"Let's go find your parents. I'm sure your sister is going to be excited to see you."