Chapter Twenty

Levi's Point of View
A week later

I sit at a table in the dining area, my cloak draped over the chair behind me. I sip at the steaming mug of tea. I feel its warmth seep into me, waking up my body.

Aside from myself, the room is empty. Everyone is still asleep. They likely won't be up until closer to sunrise.

I take another drink of the strong liquid, when some movement to my left catches my eye. My eyes dart over. I am surprised to see (Y/n) entering the room.

She is still in her pajamas, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. A pair of rabbit slippers adorn her feet. Her hair is messy, yet it falls perfectly over her shoulders. She looks tired yet, and quite cute.

I open my arms as she walks over, gently pulling her onto my lap. She wraps her arms around my neck, kissing my cheek.

"What're you doing up so early?" I question.

"I can be alone with you this early. So of course I'd take advantage of the opportunity." She smiles, running her fingers through my hair.

"I see you didn't even get dressed."

"Proper clothes are overrated."

She feels very warm. She must've crawled out of bed and come down here.

I peer at my watch on my wrist. It's almost six am. She doesn't have to be up until around eight o'clock.
She peers down at me. I reach up, taking her face between my hands. I pull her head down, kissing her softly on the lips.

"Aren't you tired, love?"

"Yeah, but I don't mind being up this early."

She reaches up, rubbing her right eye with her knuckle. I notice shadows around the underside of her eyes.

"How much sleep have you been getting, lately?"

"I don't know. Maybe five or six hours a night?"

I know on her days off she sleeps in quite late, so she likely would benefit from more sleep.

"Be sure to go to bed early tonight, okay?"

She nods, closing her eyes. "Okay."
She's​ quiet for a moment. "You don't seem to get much sleep."

"I don't need it."

"I trust your judgement."

"Do you want some tea? The kettle is still hot."

"Yeah, I'd love some."

I get up, sliding her off my lap, before I enter the doors into the kitchen. I put a teabag in a mug, pouring some hot water over it. I carry the cup back out to her. She's sitting across from my spot, her head resting in her hand. She looks like she's struggling to stay awake. She needs to go back to bed.

"Come on. Go back to bed." I instruct, motioning for her to stand.

"But Levi-" she begins.

"No complaining."

She quiets, nodding her head. "Yes, Captain." She gets up, beginning to trail away.

"Well, wait for me." I say.

She stops, peering back at me. She smiles. I walk over, my tea in one hand, taking her hand in the other.

We go up to her room, and she lies down. I slide my arms out of my jacket, hanging it over the end of her bed. I unbutton my silk shirt, hanging it with my jacket. I slip out of my boots and crawl in beside her, holding her close. She sighs deeply, her eyes closing. I trail my fingers along her spine.

"Thank you... Levi..." She murmurs.

Soon she begins to snore gently by my side.

I peer up at the ceiling, afraid to disturb her peaceful sleeping by moving her. I don't mind staying with her, though.

After a little while, the sun begins to peek over the horizon. She mutters something, but I can't make out what she's saying. I peer down at her. She looks younger in her sleep.

"I love.. you... Levi..." She breathes.

Her words take me by surprise. At first I think she may have woken up, but she snores quietly again. 
I reach up, gently running my fingers along her soft cheek, brushing some loose strands of hair out of her face. I tuck them behind her ear. I trace the curve of her ear with my thumb, running my fingers along her neck and down her spine.

"I... Love you, too..." I whisper in response, though I know she can't hear me.