Chapter Forty-Eight

Your POV

The following nights after we return home are restless and sleepless. Kuchel and Hajime sleep most of the time but wake up many times throughout the night. Levi has insisted on tending to them the majority of the time since he insists I need my rest. But I know he has work. So I handle them whenever he lets me.

A week later

I sit up in bed, leaning my back against the headboard. My lower abdomen is still very tender, especially when I move. I cover my mouth to muffle a groan as I shift.

The sun filtering through the thick white curtains of the window illuminate the room. I peer over at Levi. He hasn't stirred. He was up late with Kuchel last night and didn't sleep well. Since today is his day off I'll make sure he stays asleep as long as possible.

I slowly slide out of bed, my feet touching the cool hardwood floor. I feel chills running up my spine, goosebumps covering my skin. I grab my robe from the back of a chair and slide my arms into the sleeves. I immediately feel warmer. I sigh as I tie it up in the front, and quietly exit the room, closing the door softly behind me.

I walk across the hall, peeking my head into the nursery. Both of the little ones are sound asleep. I smile, taking a moment to listen to the faint sound of their calm, deep breathing. It's still mind-blowing to think that I created them. And just a week ago they were still growing inside of me. We were mentally unprepared for them to come so early, but we're beginning to get used to officially being parents.

We have yet to bring them to HQ to meet everyone, aside from Erwin and Hanji, who stopped by. We'll probably wait a month or so for that. The cadets can sometimes be unpredictable.

I head downstairs and fill the tin kettle with water. I set it on the stove and bend down, pulling open the little door. I use a match to light the bit of kindling in the space, before I grab a log, placing it on the small flame. It doesn't take long for the fire to catch and heat up the surface of the stove.

While the kettle heats up I grab a mug from the cupboard and the small tin of teabags. I grab one, dropping it onto the mug. I sit in the dining room on a hardwood chair and wait for the kettle to boil. I have to take it off as soon as it starts to boil. I don't want the whistle to wake up my sleeping family upstairs.

The heat from the oven already begins to heat the kitchen. It feels nice against my cold skin.

In a matter of a few minutes, the kettle starts to hum. I quickly pull it off the stove, pouring some of the water into my mug. I wait a bit for it to steep before I top it off with some milk. I carry the hot cup over to the table, wrapping my fingers around it in an attempt to absorb some of its warmth. After a few sips of the warm, rich liquid I feel warmth begin to seep into my bones.

After a short while, I begin to feel a tenderness in my breasts as I shift. It's about time for the babies to have breakfast. Thinking of them, I drink some more of my tea and get up from the wooden chair. I make my way upstairs, peeking once again into the nursery. I see Kuchel stir in her sleep. I silently enter the room, closing the door behind me. I sit in the rocking chair by the window. They'll probably be awake soon.

I pick up a large novel I've been reading and continue where I last left off. The last time I'd been reading was the day before I gave birth. That feels like a lifetime ago, by now. I rock gently as my eyes skim over the pages. As I suspected, only a short time goes by before Kuchel begins to whimper in her bassinet. I hurriedly tiptoe over to her, gently lifting her tiny body into my arms. I wrap her in her knitted blanket to keep her warm. She begins to cry.

I pull my shirt up, revealing my swollen breast before I hold her in a way that allows her to comfortably feed. She latches on and immediately quiets as she begins to drink. It only takes a few moments for me to start feeling the pressure being released. I sigh, letting my head fall back, touching the back of the wooden rocking chair.

I rock her gently back and forth while she feeds. It doesn't take long for her eyelids to grow heavy. I gently touch her forehead, waking her back up. She seems slightly surprised for a moment before she begins to suckle again.

Suddenly the loud sound of breaking glass erupts from behind me. I feel shards hit me from behind. I quickly jump to my feet as I scream, startled by the sudden deafening noise. Both Kuchel and Hajime begin to cry loudly. A second later Levi bursts into the room. The window behind me is now smashed, a huge hole in the glass. Clear shards litter the floor and surrounding surfaces.

"WHAT THE FUCK!" He shouts, rushing over to me. He grabs my arm, his eyes wide. "Are you okay? What is going on?"

"I don't know, Levi! The window exploded behind me."

My gaze meets his. His eyes are wide, his pale skin suddenly draining of any remaining colour. He picks Hajime up, rushing me out of the room and into our room.

"Don't move until I come back." He commands, giving me Hajime to hold on to. He swiftly leaves the room, closing the door tight behind him.

I stand there, two screaming babies in my arms, my heart racing. I wait anxiously for a few moments, waiting for him to return. He's only gone for a few moments. He returns with a fist-sized rock.

"Someone threw a rock through the nursery window." He says through gritted teeth. "I'm going to head to HQ and talk to Erwin about this. I want you and the babies to come with me. I also need to send for a carpenter to fix this damned window."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. A fucking rock came flying through the window, which means it came from someone. I'm not leaving any of you alone."

He walks over, taking Kuchel from me. Then he reaches forward, pulling something out of my hair. As I assumed, it is a hunk of glass. He tosses it into a nearby trash bin. He checks the rest of me, making sure no more glass is on me.

I comfort Hajime and try to feed him, seeing if it'll help to quiet him. Thankfully it works. Kuchel still whines. I sit on the bed, leaning against the headboard so I can nurse them both simultaneously.

"It'll probably take the carpenter the day to fix the window. So I'd suggest bringing some extra clothes and things for the babies in case we have to spend the night at HQ." He says as he runs his fingers through his hair.

"Okay, Levi," I respond. It's crazy to think that even though we're already dealing with the monsters that lurk outside of the walls we suddenly have danger in the walls to face as well. Who would throw that rock through our window? If Levi wasn't such an important person I would assume it was a delinquent.

"I'm going to go take a look outside and see if I can find anything. When I come back I'll get our things gathered together and pack them in the carriage. I'll be right back."