Chapter Seven

Levi's Point of View

I walk down the hall and through the dining room, up the stairs, and down to my office. Someone calls my name along the way, but I ignore them.

I shut my door behind me, locking it. I walk over and plop in my office chair.

What the fuck is happening? Why do I suddenly care so much about this random girl I rescued from a Titan? Why do I need to make sure she's okay, or go out of my way to entertain her and keep her happy? I haven't felt this way since... I brush the thought from my mind.

It's not an unpleasant sensation. It's just unusual, foreign...
I sigh and rest my head in my hands. I just need to relax. Maybe some tea will help.

I get up from my chair and stride back downstairs to the kitchen. I pour some water into the old, metal kettle and set it on the stove. I grab a mug and place a tea bag in it, leaning against the counter while I wait for the water to boil. Soon, the kettle begins to whistle shrilly.
I pour some of the steaming water into the mug, watching as the tea bag floats to the surface of the mug, bleeding a trail of deep brown in the water.

I stir it with a spoon, the metal scraping against the glass of the mug. Then I blow on it and take a sip.

I carry my cup upstairs with me and I return to my office, locking the door behind me, once again. I pull out one of my favourite books, flipping it open to the bookmark within its pages. I pull out my reading glasses and slide them on my face. I turn on my lamp, carefully reading the words printed on the pages. The book is written in an older script. It was published a short time after the walls were first built, about a hundred years ago.
It tells of a great battle with the Titans, hundreds of thousands of lives being lost. It's quite morbid, but it doesn't bother me.

I am pulled from my reading by voices in the hall outside my office.

I peer over the lenses of my glasses, waiting for a knock. But none comes.

Instead, I climb to my feet and walk around my desk, pausing to unlock the door before I pull it open. I see Hanji talking to Erwin, her boisterous, enthusiastic voice is the one I heard from within the confines of my office. I sigh and begin to retreat into the room when Hanji begins to yell, racing toward me.

"LEVI! COME BACK!"

I lean against the door frame, and she pauses before me, breathing deeply. "Captain, I need to talk to you."

"What is this about?" My voice sounds more annoyed than usual. I feel as if her message is important, but knowing Hanji, she could just be running over to tell me that she found purple shoelaces at the market, and she wants to wear them in her uniform boots.

"It's (Y/n)." She says instead, perking my curiosity. I hope everything is okay.

"What's wrong?" I say too quickly. Why do I suddenly have difficulty controlling my emotions when (Y/n) is brought into discussion? I don't like it.

"I went to check on her. She was upset. When I asked her why, she said you ran out on her. She thinks she's done something wrong. What even happened?"

I feel guilty. I shouldn't, but I do. I swallow, composing myself. "I don't know what she told you, but the game was over. Besides, I have no time for childish games. I have better things to do."

Hanji just nods. "Okay, Captain."

"Now, If you'll excuse me," I say, stepping back into the room and grabbing onto the doorknob, "I must be going." I am in no mood to be interrogated. I shut the door before she can say another word, leaning against it. I peer up at the ceiling, my brain suddenly a mess. Why do I feel bad about upsetting her? I make recruits wet their pants without batting an eye, and here I am, with guilt gnawing at my stomach, because I left some random girl after a game of cards?

I just couldn't bear to see her in pain. It made me uncomfortable.

She doesn't feel like some "random girl" anymore. She feels important to me and I have no idea why.

I slide to the floor, sitting on the freshly vacuumed carpet. I sigh, tossing my head back, letting it hit against the door. I hardly wince at the slight pain.

Compassion is a foreign feeling to me. Especially when I'm feeling it for someone else. I don't know what's going on in my mind, but I'm sure I'll soon figure out.