Chapter Fifty-Seven

Levi's POV

I follow the sound of her screams, seeing the Titan in view. I can hear my name coming from its partly open mouth. I'm almost there. I see her hand reach out. She's still alive! I begin to feel slightly relieved, when its jaw snaps shut, her hand being bitten clear off. It plumets to the ground far below, the rest of her sliding down the Titan's throat, her body a bulge in its neck.

My heart stops, the world seeming to go in slow motion. I jump off my horse, shooting my hooks into the demon's flesh. I shoot forward, slicing the Titan across the stomach. The contents of its belly spill onto the ground.

Amongst the human remains and digestive fluids, I find (Y/n), her body lying limp and lifeless in a puddle of blood.

I grab onto her, pulling her slick body close, tears springing to my eyes. Please... Let her be okay...

I press my fingers to the inside of her skin, my stomach turning cold when I don't feel the persistent thrumming underneath her sticky skin.

I instantly feel a deep rage flood through my body from my head to my toes. In an instant I feel like my skin is on fire, but my inside are like ice.

My eyes lock on the Titan, it's stomach already quickly repairing itself. The hatred I feel towards the monster is indescribable. So intense that I suddenly can't control myself.

I slice onto the Titan, over and over again, steam erupting from the gashes on its skin, blood flying through the air like a million cherry blossoms.

I scream obscenities at it while I reduce it to a steaming pile of parts, not stopping even after the nape has been sliced.

When there's nothing left for me to destroy, I land, breathing heavily. I spit on the remains at my feet before returning to (Y/n).

I find Hanji kneeling over her still form, giving her CPR. She goes back and forth, pumping her chest, to her mouth, blowing air into her lungs, her chest expanding with Hanji's breaths.

I stare at her broken and bloody face, feeling more helpless and defeated than I ever have before.

I feel my heart shatter, seeing her in this state, seeing the ways that monster broke her, knowing she was no match for such a creature.

I feel like a darkness has filled me to the brim, like the bright light at the end of my tunnel has been cruelly snuffed out.

I think of the twins. Kuchel and Hajime are too young to remember their mother. And now they'll never get to experience the beautiful, caring woman she was. It's just me, now.

Hanji stops pumping her chest, pressing her fingers to the inside of (Y/n)'s neck. Her shoulders slump, her head falling forward. Hanji climbs off (Y/n)'s body and speaks the words we already know to be true.

"She's... gone."

I can hear sighs from behind me.

My entire body trembles, tears streaming down my cheeks. For once, I can't control my emotions. I can't hide anything. I lift her limp body into my arms, pulling her face into my chest.

She doesn't breathe. She doesn't move her arms to hold me back.

And I begin to scream.