Chapter Nineteen: Northward

"I only hope he appreciates the grace he has been given." - Gandalf

Four figures sat silent and still together in the moonlight, as nearby musicians played soft, gentle melodies, and the hum of quiet voices drifted across from those sitting at campfires. A movement caught Elrond's eye, and he turned to see Thranduil and Alethris approaching from the wooded hillside. No doubt they had taken the opportunity to walk under the stars. He called out, inviting them to join their company. But could see their minds were on other matters as they politely declined the invitation.

He smiled as he watched them tease and chase each other, remembering his first days of wedlock with Celebrian. Elrond wondered what she would make of Almárie, he was sure she would love her as much as he did. The smile dropped from his face as he thought of her alone in Tol Eressëa, waiting for him on the quayside of Avallónë. How would he explain Arwen's choice to her? But he had to hope that she would understand and forgive him.

Galadriel, Celeborn and Gandalf chuckled between themselves as they watched Thranduil and Almárie enter their pavillion. "It is nice to see them happy. Thranduil is almost as he was in his youth. Though perhaps less full of himself," said Celeborn.

Gandalf smoked his pipe and made three smoke rings. "I only hope he appreciates the grace he has been given."

"And yet their happiness on Middle Earth cannot last. Soon they must turn their eyes westward, forsaking all that they are and all that they love," replied Galadriel.

"Alas.... it is a high price," said Elrond. His heart ached as he remembered those last painful moments with Arwen and how little time she now had left in the world.

Galadriel squeezed his hand. "A price we are all paying," she whispered.

"And what will become of them upon their return? Almárie will return to her Maia form, but what of Thranduil? Will the Valar permit them to remain together? Or sunder them and Thranduil be restored to his first wife? He is an Elf of the twilight and Almárie is of the Maia. Even Thingol had the light of the trees within him." said Elrond.

"Alas, even we are not permitted to know such things. But Eru Iluvatar loves all of his children. We must trust in his plan for them," replied Gandalf. The Elves resumed their silent communication deep into the night till, at last, they were ready to retire. The four of them rose and walked towards their pavilions.

"Mithrandir, one thing has always puzzled me? When Meneldor rescued Almárie from the mountain, who sent him? Was it you?" asked Elrond.

Gandalf shook his head. "There is only one who could have sent the Great Eagles on such an errand."

"Then it was Radagast. He was always good friends with them," said Celeborn.

"Guess again," replied Galadriel.

The other three stopped in their tracks. "Surely it was not you Galadriel?" said Gandalf.

Galadriel slowly shook her head. "I was merely the messenger, and it was up to Almárie to cross into Mirkwood. And once she knew the truth of her mission, it was up to her to accept it or not. My heart tells me that in the end, what happens in the uttermost west will lie with Almárie."

"I wanted to train her in the defence of our realm. I went all the way to Thranduil's Halls to retrieve her, and you said nothing of this," replied Celeborn.

"Thranduil needed to keep her of his own free will. She was raised to be a queen, not a weapon Celeborn," said Galadriel.

"So all she has suffered was part of a greater plan? Why did you keep this from me? I could have better prepared her for what she was about to face," said Elrond.