Chapter Twenty Two: Lothlórien

"Do you like our tree, Melleth nin?" - Alethris

As he read Legolas's report, Thranduil reclined in the large bed. He was happy to know that the restoration of the realm was going well. Thranduil was careful not to wake Alethris, who was fast asleep beside him. The scars on her arms peeked out from the sleeves of her nightgown. He could not be sure, but there seemed to be a faint shimmer about her skin similar to her hair, but he dismissed it as a trick of the evening light. After days of crossing the Redhorn pass, they had, at last, reached Lothlórien. Storms had plagued the party all the way, coming upon them suddenly with sheets of hail and rain, then leaving just as fast as it arrived. There had been little in the way of shelter and nights were spent huddled together in the darkness.

Relief only came once they had descended from the unforgiving mountain, whose angry clouds gathered as if awaiting their next victim. They had followed a path by the side of a staggered waterfall known as the Dimrill stair. Resting overnight in the Dimrill Vale on the banks of Lake Mirrormere. Thranduil and Alethris came across a great stone pillar. They could just make out the rune carvings despite it being weathered, worn and cracked. Thranduil was sure it was Durin's stone to commemorate the legend of Durin the first looking into the lake and seeing a crown of stars around his head. Behind them, a small track led up through foothills, to a large ornate Dwarven door cut out of the stone.

Thranduil assumed it must have been the entrance to Moria that Legolas had exited on his journey southward. When he and Alethris looked into the lake themselves, they had indeed seen a crown of stars above their heads. But the waters had also reflected Alethris in her Maia form. She looked almost like a star herself, her silver hair flowing in the wind.

Upon reaching Lothlórien, a welcoming party led by Haldir and Faelnith escorted them to Cerin Amroth. Where Celeborn and Galadriel were waiting to receive them. Now they rested high in the trees in a simple but comfortable treehouse, reached by a staircase that wound around the tree. It was the same place Alethris had stayed with Elrond and Arwen before the journey south and where Arwen had plighted her troth to Elessar years before.

Now it was their home for the winter. Thranduil looked forward to a few months of rest before they would travel again. Perhaps when they were finally home, Alethris would be ready for the time of the children. Spring was the traditional time for weddings and begettings. But as their offspring were likely to be mortal, the time of year no longer seemed important. Three daughters would release Lasseth from her curse and she would go to Mandos. He owed her that, at least for his second chance of wedded bliss. Thranduil hoped that whatever Alethris learned from Galadriel would allay her fears. Perhaps her petition to the Valar might yet grant their children entrance to the undying lands.

Alethris murmured in her sleep, reliving past traumas in her dreams as she often did. Thranduil had learned much from listening to her dream talk, of the grief and fears she never spoke of. But he would never speak with her on those matters. He trusted she would do so when she was ready. Thranduil laid his head beside hers and whispered comforting words while he kissed and stroked her hair. Soon she was at peace again and snuggled into him. Thranduil closed his eyes as he enveloped her in his embrace.

---------------------------------

Galadriel stood at her basin as Alethris climbed down to her grandmother's garden. She and Thranduil had arrived at Caras Galadhon the night before, to celebrate Yule with her grandparents. They had spent many happy weeks together at Cerin Amroth as autumn gave way to winter. They had played in the wood like children with no cares or responsibilities. Occasionally, Celeborn and Galadriel would visit them in their treetop love nest, but they never stayed long, so the royal couple were mostly left to their own devices.