Chapter Thirty Two: The Waking of the Dúnedain

"I am sorry father," 

Haleth hid among the shadows, watching the torchlight square. At the far end, she could see several heads on spikes silhouetted against the night's sky. Nearby were some outlaws guarding the entrance to a ruined building. Shrouded in darkness, she crept around the outside of the square till she had almost made it to where the heads were impaled. Looking up at them, she almost let out a cry as she saw her father's rotting head almost within reaching distance. Breathing deeply, she composed herself and surveyed her surroundings.

The guards were now behind her, if she could just reach out she could slip off her father's head unseen, then silently slip back into the shadows. But a scream stopped her in her tracks. A young Dúnedain maiden was dragged into the square by two Dunlendings, closely followed by a man dressed in red and black robes, his face covered and Haldar dressed the same. The Dunlendings threw her to the ground. "She tried to escape again, master," said one of them.

"How many times it now, Angnith, three, four, you know you will be caught, why even try?" said Haldar.

"Because, perhaps just once, I might be lucky enough to escape or be killed trying. Now kill me and get it over with," replied Angnith defiantly.

Haldar pulled the girl up to him. "Oh no, no, no, we do not kill our precious women. I have something better in mind for you. You are young, strong and clever, not to mention fair of form. I shall take you to wife this very night and you will bear me powerful sons who will serve Melkor faithfully," said Haldar.

Angnith spat in his face, "I shall never be one of your wives and I am too young to be wed to anyone, I do not come of age for two years," she sneered.

"What do I care for Dúnedain law? You have your moon blood, I do not need to wait. And you should be honoured I only pick the best women for my harem. Kirol, we shall perform the ceremony now," ordered Haldar.

"NO! I rather die than be wed by force!" Angnith screamed.

"As I said, you are too precious to kill and I see no Dúnedain warriors here to save you, they are all cowering in their holes. Kirol, put my mark upon her first," said Haldar. Kirol drew out from his robes a sharp stick and a bag of dark powder. "Hold her still while the priest gives her my mark," commanded Haldar. Haleth could take it no longer, Angnith's screams and curses filled the air as she fought for all she was worth, while the Priest tried to apply the tattoo to her arm.

Haleth looked up at the rotting head, "I am sorry, father," she whispered. Then came out of the shadows, her weapon drawn. "You will not touch her brother!" she shouted. Haldar turned towards her in surprise, then an evil smirk formed across his face.

"Haleth, my dear sister, what a pleasant surprise. My servant failed to dispatch you, it seems. No matter, perhaps as head of the family I should have you wed also," said Haldar. He turned to the priest. "Is my sister not comely Kirol? If she survives this little spat, you can take her to do with as you please," said Haldar. "Muffled laughter," came from behind the covered face.

"Do not worry sister, will not cut your face, I would not want to spoil Kirol's pleasure," said Haldar, drawing his blade.

"This is between you and me, brother, and only one of us will walk away!" shouted Haleth.

Haldor laughed, "As you wish, little sister." His face grew serious. "Take the girl to my chambers and mark her, I will deal with her after," he ordered as the two siblings began their duel. Angnith fought and kicked as the Dunlendings dragged her towards the entrance of the ruined building, followed by the priest. Suddenly, two arrows pierced through the chests of the Dunlendings. They dropped to the floor, releasing Angnith from their grasp as they fell.