Chapter Twenty Nine: Law and order

"That, is a female?"

In the village square, the Knights held back the crowds as Márafea, Thranduil, Glorfindel and Haleth awaited the prisoner. Still wearing her rangers garb, Haleth rubbed her neck, the bruises still visible. To the side of them were Barliman Butterbur and several other residents of Bree, both men and hobbits alike. The crowd parted as Elladan and Elrohir dragged the prisoner, his hands bound behind his back, and threw him down before Thranduil and Márafea. His face was covered in dried blood that had come from his nose, and both eyes were blackened.

The prisoner looked at them both and laughed, "I see you will be killing me now."

"You are to be tried for your crimes. If we find you guilty, you will be sentenced and punished," replied Thranduil.

"With what am I charged?" asked the prisoner.

"We charge you with attempted murder and being a worshiper of Morgoth," said Márafea.

"By what authority do you charge me?" he demanded.

"We charge you in the name of King Elessar of The Reunited Kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor," said Márafea.

The prisoner laughed, "And where is this King Elessar? I see no King, just a girl and her Elf Pet." Thranduil glared and placed his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"You speak so of the Vice Regent and her Co Regent husband, who are king and queen in a realm of their own. They are here in the name and authority of King Elessar," said Glorfindel.

"Then why don't they go back where they came? We have no need of King Elessar and his servants poking their noses in our business," said the prisoner.

Some bystanders sniggered, "King Elessar is our rightful King, he is descended from Elendil himself, Queen Márafea is his Royal sister, she is also of the line of Kings and King Thranduil is her husband, your traitorous words condemn you," said Haleth.

"Wardress, the only thing I admit guilt to is the fact you still breathe, but that will be rectified soon enough," said the prisoner defiantly.

"So you confess to attempting to murder Wardress Haleth, prisoner," said Thranduil.

"I only confess to failing in my mission," replied the Prisoner.

"I think we can accept that as an admission of guilt," said Thranduil.

"And the last charge?" asked Márafea.

"I will not deny my Lord Melkor, he is all powerful and one day he will return, restore his servants and destroy you and yours and I will be there at his side!" the Prisoner taunted. There was silence from the crowd, followed by a fearful murmuring. Márafea and Thranduil looked at each other. She took a deep breath, then addressed the crowd.

"Citizens of Arnor, good people of Bree. You have heard the vile testimony of this prisoner. Not only does he not deny his crimes, but he speaks of them with pride. It would seem his guilt is proven and yet I would still have the good people of Bree proclaim his guilt or innocence." She looked at Butterbur and those with him. "What say you? How do you find the prisoner?" Butterbur and his fellow Breeman huddled together for a short time, then Butterbur turned to Márafea.

"Vice Regent, we the folk of Bree find the prisoner guilty," he said.

The others with him said, "Aye," and nodded their heads.

Márafea then fixed her eyes upon the prisoner. "You have been found guilty, not only by the citizens of Bree, but also by your own words. The sentence for your crimes is death. Is there anything you wish to say before the sentence is carried out?"