TEN. house of questions

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV

River knew that there was a possibility of Amber going to Fashion School. The girl was talented, no doubt, but parting ways with her best friend was something River only imagined doing at the end of high school. Not right at the beginning of their last year. This was the only thing running through her mind, unlike Fabian, Joy, Alfie, and Amber who were trying to crack the meaning of the clue.

"When the dark sun is born in the English sky," Amber recited the clue from where she sat on Mara's bed with River. Meanwhile, Joy and Alfie sat on the floor by the bed while Fabian paced by the group, "and the children of children sleep the day by."

"Give the loop of fire to the sleeping man," Alfie continued, "and the dark sun of Egypt shall rise again."

"Yep, still don't get it," River said as she shook her head.

"It doesn't make any sense," Fabian stated in annoyance. "If I can't figure out the rest of the symbols then we might as well just give up—"Cutting the boy off and causing everyone to jump was the door opening. However, to their relief, it was only Patricia who walked in and closed the door. "Patricia, we have a rule about knocking!"

"Fine," Patricia dismissed, seeming to be bothered by something else. "You guys will not believe what I've just seen."

Pursing her lips in annoyance, River glanced over to Amber and then Joy. All three girls wore the same looks and looked back to Patricia, uttering simultaneously, "Eddie and KT."

"I don't know if you know this, but you have a jealousy problem," River told the girl.

"Yeah. Just a teensy bit obsessed," Amber added.

Patricia rolled her eyes at her friends and sat with Joy and Alfie on the floor, deciding to change the topic back to the clue. "So how are we getting on with the symbols in Victor's package? And have you worked out any more about anything on Amber's bracelet yet?"

Fabian joined the rest on a floor, heaving an exasperated sigh. "Look, I'm trying, okay? But I'm clueless about the bracelet. And those messages might be all I can work out from the symbols on this table."

. . .

Splashing her face with water, River wiped it with her towel and looked up at her reflection in the bathroom mirror. She couldn't help but be shocked by how calm she looked on the outside when in actuality, she was so tired. It hadn't even been a full two weeks back at school and there was already a new mystery on the rise that River was still wary of being involved in. On top of that, Amber might be leaving and she was already missing her American vest friend Nina Martin. Sometimes, River wondered what her life would be like if she hadn't joined Sibuna and just stuck with Alfie and Jerome.