THIRTY-NINE. house of awakening

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

For the first time in a while, River felt refreshed this morning as she headed to the dining room, attempting to fix up her tie. Sibuna saved the world - well, their town - from the evil awakening of Robert Frobisher-Smythe, and all River felt was joy and relief. Joy that the mystery madness had been short and was over, and relieved that she wouldn't have to worry about any evil for the rest of the year, so she could finally focus on her studies.

Upon entering the dining room, River found it to be occupied by her favorite boys - Alfie Lewis, Jerome Clarke, and Noah Michaels.

"Morning, boys," River greeted them with a smile as she made her way over to the kitchen counter where a basket of croissants sat. She didn't even take note of Jerome who quickly shut his laptop in fear.

"You seem chipper this morning," Noah noted, him and Jerome sharing skeptical looks. Alfie held a smile, knowing why River was in a good mood. "What did you do?"

"Can't I just be happy?"

"You're a very negative person so that's a hard question to answer," Jerome voiced, earning nods of agreement from his roommates.

River waved their remarks off with a smile, prompting the exit of Jerome and Noah and the arrival of Patricia Williamson, who was slowly followed behind by KT Rush. Patricia headed over to River and Alfie, who looked as grateful as she did.

"Can you guys believe it? We saved the world again," Patricia said.

"Yeah!" Alfie cheered, he, River, and Patricia sharing high-fives all around. "Sibuna shoots; Sibuna scores."

"Nothing but net. Standing ovation from the crowd," River played along, and Patricia and Alfie sent her amused smiles.

"Tank guy sleeps for another hundred years. We win!"

"Except we didn't win, did we?" KT questioned from where she sat at the dining table, while River, Alfie, and Patricia occupied their respective seats. River shot the American a confused glance as to what she was going on about. "We may have stopped the ritual, but we haven't broken the curse. Nothing's changed. My great-grandfather is still stuck in limbo, right?"

"I mean, yeah..." River trailed off, sharing a shrug with Alfie and Patricia. She looked back at KT who remained disheartened. "No offense but what difference does it make? You hardly knew the guy."

"He's my great-grandfather. How could you say that?"

"What, you'd rather have him wake up evil than be stuck in a sleep for a century?"