Chapter forty-two

A/N: Quick thing! This is an alternate universe so some songs in this book that Nina writes will be other people's songs in real life!

John was standing on a ladder trying to fix our light that was hung over our kitchen table. I watched him as worked. He was so concentrated. He knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it, whereas I was clueless about it.

Snowball was laying in his dog bed chewing on one of his toys.

I was sitting on the floor in the living room, sheets of music spread out on the ground, playing around with some song ideas. I had the guitar John had gotten me for Christmas one year strapped around me.

Can I go... where... you go.... can we always be this... close... forever and ever?

I had been trying to write a love song for John for months. But whatever I came up with was never good enough. This song was actually going decently. John was very interested in hearing it but I always refused. When I was finished, I wanted it to be a surprise.

But he didn't know what song I was working on, so working on the music part of it didn't really matter. I could sing the lyrics in my head.

The start of the song still didn't have the lyrics I wanted yet. For right now they were just filler lyrics. I couldn't quite think of what I wanted there yet.

I knew the song wouldn't be ready for a long time yet but I planned for it to be ready by June for our three-year anniversary.

The song didn't even have a title yet, or a chorus or anything really yet. Just a bunch of lyrics I thought up while I was spending time with him. I would sneakily get my songbook and write them down so I didn't forget them.

I was playing a little rhythm I had thought up.

"That sounds nice love," John said trying to unscrew the light.

"Aww thank you," I replied looking up at him lovingly. He stopped what he was doing to look at me and grin.

I got back to what I was doing. I looked at the lyrics in my book and tried to think of a way to connect them together. But I was stumped.

I had been working on it for a while, so I decided to put my stuff away and get out my homework.

"What's your uni assignment?"

"I have to design some clothes," I replied. "It's not my strongest thing."

"Oh, now that's not true." He responded. "Didn't you have to design some clothes for Biba? And weren't they really interested in yours?"

"They were but it still got turned down."

"Yeah, but it made it until the final round, that's something to be proud of."

"I guess so."

"You are so hard on yourself-"

"So are you." I interrupted shrugging. He just smirked at me and got back to what he was doing.

He was fixing the light because he knew he would be gone for awhile and I would like the light to be working again. It hadn't been working properly for over a month now but John had been off on tour and unable to fix it.

I was glad we didn't have to hire anyone to come in fix it, I mean this was going to be his career after all. He worked part-time at an electric company when he was in uni all the way up until recently. The band needed their full attention so everyone quit their studies and daytime jobs. Brian made a vow that when he got more time again, he would pick up his studies again.