Chapter sixteen

I stared blankly out the window as trees whipped by my line of sight. My head was resting on my hand. I felt someone poke me and I turned to face them. It was Maggie handing me my set of cards. I tried to push away the thought that in a few hours my sister would be gone again. But there was no way of avoiding it. Not like there was during the days leading up to it. We were on our way to drop her off now. My sister smiled at me and told everyone that she was going to beat them. But she didn't in the end. Brian won that round. We played many rounds up until we had to stop so that Roger could pee. We all ended up using the bathroom as well. I went first and then ended up smoking with John outside the building. My sister was inside with the rest of our group picking out snacks. I wasn't hungry in the slightest.

I looked at John after I blew my smoke with tears threatening to spill over.

"Aww come here." He told me as he pulled me into his arms. "It's going to be okay."

When we arrived in my hometown John and I were staring out the window together. It was a very small town compared to London. I recognized people already on the streets so I turned away from the window. John saw my uncomfortably and turned away too. I was having flashbacks, memories I had forgotten were resurfacing.

I didn't like it.

Roger was driving with Freddie in the passengers' seat. Maggie, Mary, Brian, John and I were all crammed into the back. No one wanted to miss a chance to say goodbye to Sam.

I cried a lot. Lily and her parents watched from the porch as I sobbed into my sister's shoulder. She was crying too. We were just a huge mess.

"Please, please find a way to call me if you need me. I will try to call but you know what happens when mum or dad answers." I said into her shoulder. She nodded. "I am here for you, I promise."

She nodded.

"I love you, Nina."

"I love you too." I cried. She let go and said her goodbyes to everyone else. She then hugged me one last time. She waved to everyone and went into the house.

When we got back into the van I was holding back tears. Freddie and Brian switched seats so that Freddie could be with me. He wrapped his arms around me.

"It's going to be okay Nina," Mary whispered and I nodded. I clung to Freddie for dear life. Soon he passed me over to John. The sun was setting now. I ended up falling asleep half on him and half on Freddie.

When I woke up I was in John's arms being carried somewhere.

"Are we home?" I asked sleepily looking up at him. He chuckled and nodded.

"Alright," I responded so quietly I didn't know if he had even heard me. I didn't have time to find out either. Soon sleep took me back into it's arms.

When I woke up it was the next day. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. The sunlight from the window blinded me. That must have been what woke me up. I turned to my nightstand to find a note.

Dear Nina,

                     I  know this time has been really tough for you. I'm so sorry about that. It hurts me to see you this way. So I was wondering if you would be up for our first date tonight? If not that's fine. You just deserve all the happiness in the world and if I can give you just a little, I want to do that. Call me and let me know if you are up for it. And don't ask where we are going! It's a surprise!  I hope to see you tonight. But again, totally understand if you don't want to.

                                                                                            -Deaky