Chapter twenty-two

According to Maggie, I missed many calls from my brothers that morning. The phone would ring over and over. Eventually, Maggie answered the phone and told them I wasn't home. I was at my boyfriend's flat. I didn't bother to call them back. I wasn't in the mood to talk. I probably wouldn't talk to them for another year anyway.

The days started to fly by again. I tried to forget about my parents. But they were always in the back of my mind. I knew John was pissed about my dad hitting me. I've never seen him react the way he did when I told him.

Sometimes I would just lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling looking for answers. The same answers I've searched for almost all my life. I could never find them.

I went out more often. I was out with John until sometimes five in the morning.

I pushed my parents out of my mind every time they entered but they were so persistent. I would get panic attacks out of nowhere. Once in a restaurant. I ended up hiding my face away in John's shirt.

I knew he was worried about me. I didn't want him to. He didn't need that extra anxiety and stress. He had enough of his own.

My sister called, for the first time I didn't answer. Maggie answered it and I told her to tell her I was busy. I don't know why exactly. I felt that talking to her would make me cry again. Thinking about what happened. I was trying to distract myself.

The rest of our friend group knew what happened. But they didn't bring it up. Which I appreciated.

We were sitting in my flat watching Top Of The Pops.

"Can you belive that Tim and Humpy Bong where on this show?" Roger huffed.

"And look at their success Rog, I can see why you're jealous." Maggie said sarcastically. Roger gave her a look and threw some popcorn at her.

"What's a five-letter word for happy?" John asked looking down at his crossword puzzle. He had found it in one of our drawers while looking for the plastic bags.

"Deaky," I replied and everyone awed. John smiled as I got up to kiss him before I went to the kitchen.

Roger groaned.

"Aww you guys are so cute." I heard Freddie say.

"If you mean cute as in vomit I'm with you." Roger replied.

"Do you have a off button?" Brian asked.

Maggie joined me in the kitchen.

"So things are going pretty good with you and Deaks then?"

"Yes, in the mess that is my life I can always count on him," I replied as I put away the pots that we used to make popcorn.

She smiled and embraced me tightly.

"You know what you need?" She asked letting go of me. I shook my head.

"A vacation, I'm due to head up to my parent's beach house soon. I'm gonna ask if I can invite everyone. That way you can relax and not hear your siblings ringing you every five seconds."

"Oh I don't know Mag, we all have work, and what about gigs?"

"I'll cancel them." Freddie told me walking in to the kitchen.

"But you need the money." I responded bending down to put another pot from earlier in the day away.

"You need a vacation, we all could use one." Freddie replied leaning against the kitchen doorframe, his arms crossed.

"Please just call your boss and get some time off!" Maggie begged me.

"Oh I don't know Mag..."

"Do it or I call him myself." She told me rasing an eyebrow. She began to walk towards the phone.