Chapter sixty-six

I had never felt so free in my entire life. Everything just seemed brighter and bubbly. It was as if the possibilities of life were endless.

Jack was now laughing and being way more expressionate. His laugh had to be the cutest laugh I had ever heard. I wished that I could trap the laugh in a bottle and listen to it when I was away from him.

My little lovebug, the pride, and joy of my life. He was everything to me. Now I knew that he was totally safe, no one from my family was coming to harm him.

While John was at the studio Jack and I were home most of the time. The house was still very much under construction but things were moving along. We had only lived here for a couple of weeks. Things would take time. I wasn't too concerned.

Jack was temporarily in another room until I finished painting and getting his room all set up. It was so much bigger than his one back home which to be honest was just a glorified walk-in closet.

Snowball was loving the yard. When we first put him out there he didn't know what to do with himself. The whole yard was fenced in and it was completely safe for him to run around unsupervised.

He just stared at me like 'no leash?'

Snowball needed a friend and since we had all this extra room I told John I wanted another dog and maybe some cats. He said he didn't care as long as I was happy. So we'd be looking into that further soon.

My mum was currently back in Rachdale. She had gotten a divorce lawyer from here and was in the long process of that currently. When she left she seemed optimistic. I promised I'd call her and check in with her. She had just gone through a lot. She was staying with Tom and Sam at his house. She said she didn't want to feel lonely anymore.

Tom and his girlfriend had broken up. So she moved out and it was just the three of them.

I was only working at the music shop part-time at the moment. I needed to stay home and watch Jack while John was at the studio. My photobook sold out so quickly that the store was waiting on a new shipment already. I had it proudly displayed on our bookshelf in the living room.

I was standing on a ladder trying to finish the bird I was painting in Jack's room. Jack was asleep down the hall in his crib. It was right after lunch, so this was his normal nap time. He had gotten on a more consistent sleep schedule recently, giving John and I, the rest we desperately needed.

The radio was playing softly so hopefully, he couldn't hear it. I was in a T-shirt John didn't wear anymore and I had long ago turned it into my painting shirt. I had some old jean shorts that had seen better days to go with them.

I completed my last stroke and took a moment to look at the bird.

Perfect.

There was a tree I had painted with a bunch of birds flying out of it. I painted some grass with some daisies and dandelions growing with a bright blue sky. It reminded me of the field I grew up in. With the tree, I would run away to hide in a lot of the time.

I painted some rabbits, butterflies, ducks, and even a deer. There were still a few final touches I was going to have to complete before I could call the walls done.

I got off the ladder, went down the hall to the bathroom, and cleaned my paintbrushes. I set them on the counter to dry and went into Jack's room quietly to check on him. He was still fast asleep.

I made my way downstairs, leaving his door open so if he cried I'd hear him. I could see Snowball sunbathing on the back patio through the glass back doors. He truly was living the life of luxury now.