Chapter seventeen

The last week of June was chaotic. The boys were scrambling to get things done before Queen's first performance in months. It was also their first performance with John as their bassist.

Queen had somewhat of a following. Their fans had seen them change bassists many times, so it wasn't a new thing for them. But little did they know that Queen was done switching. Freddie had told me. John was the one. For sure. They had found their missing puzzle piece. They had tried to shove pieces into the puzzle that didn't go there. But John did. He worked. He really did.

I tried to help them the best I could. I listened to their full set at least a hundred times, giving them my tips and advice. Freddie trusted my input, and that meant a lot to me.

The boys were disappointed that Tim couldn't make it, he was out of town. But he promised he would come to one of their gigs as soon as he could. He was really looking forward to seeing what the 'quiet man' he met at the bar could do.

I guess I didn't think of John as the quiet man anymore. But maybe that's because he was so used to me. He would talk and talk around me.

As for John, well, he was a nervous wreck. He was beyond worried that the Queen fans weren't going to like him. He was afraid that they were gonna like the other bassists better. I remember most of the other bassists very well. They were good, but they didn't fit. John was extremely talented, and he fit. The other bassists with the band seemed odd to me. Not that they were odd but them with the rest of the band didn't work. They were really very talented don't get me wrong, they just didn't fit. John fit, and I'm not just saying that because he's my boyfriend. I'm telling the honest truth. If he didn't fit, he wouldn't still be here.

But of course, John was sure that for some reason the boys would change their minds after the concert and show him the door. When I told Freddie John's concerns he literally laughed at me.

"Darling, I know what we have here, it's something special. He's not going anywhere, you can tell him that. I give him a hundred percent guarantee he will not be kicked out."

I told him but he still had his doubts.

Freddie had asked Maggie if her diner could help supply free food for the audience.

"Freddie, why would my diner give you free food?" Maggie asked almost laughing.

"Come on your boss loves us!" Freddie replied. Mag scoffed.

"Yeah, she likes you guys but not enough to give you all free food. The best I can do is probably a discount."

"We'll take it," Freddie responded.

The day of the big event finally came and I spent the early morning with the guys in their practice room sorting through what needed to go with them. Maggie was at work for an early shift so that she could come tonight. I had worked two shifts the day before so I could come tonight. My boss loved the boys and their band. He had come to their gigs before and I'm sure he'd come around eventually to see the new bassist.

The items that we were going were all piled up next to the door. They had to have the stuff delivered by two for their gig tonight. Olivia and I were sorting through stuff while having a light conversation. Mary was at work just like Maggie, so it was just the two of us helping the boys. She sadly wouldn't make it tonight. She had to work. Everyone was sad about it, but she had a day off next week, so she'd see it then. She was really excited about it.

We loaded everything into the van and drove to the college where they would be playing that night. Olivia and the guys started to take things in. I was left behind trying to pick something to take in. I tugged on one of their amps but it seemed to be stuck. I pulled and pulled, making grunts and a bunch of unattractive noises.