Chapter forty-nine

John and I went up to John's hometown to surprise his mum and sister. We packed up John's car and set off on the 16th. I was bummed that I couldn't take Snowball. The poor dog had to stay with Amber for the Holidays and I felt bad. But a few of John's relatives were allergic. I felt like I was being a terrible dog owner.

Over the course of the tour, John had been asked for pictures and autographs a few times, overwhelming him. He wasn't used to it. He believed going home would give him a break to rest up from it and recharge.

I had only been to his hometown once before so I was thrilled to come back. I loved that my boss wasn't making me come in until after Christmas. I loved that I had all this time to relax. Which was a relief since I had such a stressful year.

I had rung to make sure Sam had a place to go for Christmas. She would be spending it with my brothers. I was offered an invitation but John and I already said yes to coming to his. Besides, I couldn't miss out on a Deacon family Christmas. They were too much fun.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John was on the radio, a song that reminded me of my childhood. I adored the song and would play it on repeat back home.

Leicester looked like such a warm and friendly town, all covered in snow and Christmas lights. He stopped for a moment when he caught sight of Sheer Heart Attack in a record shop window.

"The record shop I used to come to as a kid, has my record, this is so strange." He said looking out the window. It was on a big display in the front window.

John just stared at it.

"Well didn't this shop have Queen's first two?"

"Yeah, but I never saw them. This is... this is so strange."

"Get out and let me take your picture with it."

We did just that and soon people started pointing and staring. And after a while, he had a small crowd around him asking him for autographs and pictures.

Again, this was all new to him and he didn't know quite how to react. He just smiled nervously and took a pen from a stranger and started signing things people shoved at him.

I took a picture because this was only going to be strange to him for so long.

After the crowd cleared he quickly got into the car and took a deep breath.

"So much for people not caring about me."

We knocked on the door to Lillian's house and waited. It opened and she literally screamed with joy.

"Suprise mum! I'm off from tour so I'm here!" John exclaimed smiling widely.

"JULIE GET IN HERE!" She yelled before wrapping her arms around her son.

"What is it mum-" Julie started before she saw us.

"Surprise!" I said and she ran and hugged me.

"Why didn't you tell us you were coming?!" Lillian asked helping us with our bags. She shut the door behind us.

"We wanted it to be a surprise." I grinned giving her a hug. "Hi, Lillian."

"Hello, my girl." She replied squeezing me.

"We are back from tour and off until February, Nina doesn't have to go back to work until after Christmas so we thought why not!" John said before hugging his sister.

"We hope we aren't too much of a bother, we can get a hotel-"

"A hotel? When I can have my son and my other daughter here? Nonsense, we were just about start dinner."