Chapter thirty

Christmas with the Deacons was so enjoyable. They made me feel loved and appreciated. Lillian, her sister, their mum, Julie, and Martha took me shopping in York on Christmas Eve.

"Now everyone listen up," Lillian said gathering our group in the shopping center. She looked very stressed. "We only have five hours until we have to be back at Linda's for dinner." She sighed. "Which means we only have until then to get all our last minute Christmas gifts."

I looked around. People were everywhere. Running and rushing around.

"Ugh." Martha sighed before she popped the bubble gum that she had been chewing. "Randy is supposed to be meeting me at the city center at three."

"You can go if you get all your Christmas shopping done. I know for a fact young lady that you are not done." Linda scowled. Martha rolled her eyes and stormed off.

"I'll go with her." Lillian's mum said and soon she was headed in the direction Martha went. 

"Nina, why don't you go along with Julie, and then the three of us will meet up later. I've got some shopping to do with my sister."

"Sure." I smiled. The two of them walked towards the steps that went to the upper level. 

"What do you need to get?" I asked.

"Something for my brother, I'm hoping you could help. I always put him off because he's so difficult to buy for." Julie told me as we started walking.

"I don't think he's too challenging, I'd be happy to help you, as long as you help me get something for your mum."

She smiled brightly at me.

"It's a deal."

"Now John likes his sweater vests," I said looking through a pile of clothing. "I've gotten him quite a lot of them and he never seems to grow tired of them, plus he looks so darn cute in them."

"Let's not call my brother cute." She replied chuckling. "But a sweater vest sounds like a good idea."

"Trust me it's a go-to for him," I said pulling one from the pile. "What about this one?" I asked holding it up for her to look at.

She examined it and nodded.

"Brillant, John's done, now what do we get for your mum?" I asked as we headed to the cashier.

"I know just the thing," Julie responded.

She ended up taking me to the upper level into a candle shop.

"My mum loves candles, adores them. You get her one, she will love you." She told me before picking one up to smell.

Now that I come to think of it, Lillian did have a lot of candles all around her house when I came to visit.

"Merry Christmas! Can I help you, ladies?" An older woman asked coming over to us.

"Just doing a little looking. I've got to get a present for my boyfriend's mum and apparently she loves candles." I responded.

"Well, may I make some suggestions?"

I ended up getting her two candles, one that the lady suggested along with one Julie thought she would like.

"Oh Nina you are going to make her so happy," Julie said as we passed by Martha who was using one of the phonebooths. We both turned to see Lillian's mother out of breath at the top of the steps.

"Are you okay Nan?" Julie asked running over.

"Martha... she is boy obsessed!" She breathed. "She all of sudden felt the need to ring her boyfriend in the middle of our Christmas shopping."