Chapter ten

Exams grew nearer for John, which meant the only time the boys ever saw him was at band practice. His exams were next week, the same as mine. I would ring and ring him but he never answered. I just let him be. I hadn't seen him for two weeks. I couldn't make it to band practice at all anymore, I was busy with my own final work. I could do it at practice but they were so loud and I really needed to focus.

Freddie was over a lot giving me tips and advice on what he did for his final work for his degree. Which honestly helped.

"John spends most of practice studying," Freddie laughed. "We would yell for him and he wouldn't hear us, we'd have to really shout at him."

"Why isn't he answering my calls?"

"Either he isn't answering anyone's calls or he literally doesn't hear them," Freddie told me looking at my design. "Oh, Nina this is better than anything I ever did."

"Oh stop it, Freddie," I said shaking my head. I sat up on the couch and looked at my work that he held in his hands.

"No I'm serious, you really have a gift."

"Well thank you," I said getting up to go into the kitchen. "You want anything? I'm making tea."

"Tea sounds nice dear, thank you." He replied as he started to flip through my art folder.

I returned with two cups of tea.

"How are you holding up not seeing John?" Freddie asked. Usually, at this point, I would shush him but Maggie is out with Mary and some other friends of ours. I told her I didn't want to come because I needed to study. So Mary sent Freddie over to help and hang out with me.

"I'm alright, John's consumed in his degree and honestly I can't blame him."

"Don't you think he's gone a little too far?"

"Oh yeah definitely," I said before taking a drink from my cup. 

He laughed.

"I just wish he'd answer his darn phone," I said shaking my head."It's Friday and the exams are next week. He must really be pushing it now."

"If he was pushing it as hard as he was the last few weeks I'd hate to see to see him now. We haven't had practice in awhile but we have a practice tomorrow and I don't even know if he's going to show up." Freddie told me as he picked his cup up from where it was sitting on the coffee table.

"I think after you leave I'm gonna run over there, see how the poor soul is doing," I said and he raised an eyebrow at me.

"And this isn't just an excuse to see him?"

"Well, that too."

I opened the door to his flat and walked into the living room to a scary sight.

It was worse than last time.

Take out food, food wrappers, lose papers, binders and books were everywhere.

"John?" I called out and he appeared from the bathroom looking surprised to see me.

"Nina, hello." He said. He was wearing grey sweatpants and a blue hoodie. His hair was messier than I had ever seen it.

"You didn't answer any of my calls," I said and he sighed.

"I'm really sorry. I must not have heard them. Or I did, assumed it was Roger again and didn't answer."

"John you don't look too good. No offense."

He laughed slightly.

"Yeah, I don't feel too good either." He replied rubbing his neck.