16 : 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚'𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏g

THE ONLY ASSIGNMENT SHE
TURNED IN WAS A DRAWING OF
PATRICK SWAYZE TITLED
'HOW DIRTY IS YOUR DANCING?
A STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO FINDING
A WAY OUT OF SWAYZE'S EYES.'

"I'M SORRY MRS

"I'M SORRY MRS.HUNTER." Mr Clarke said, barely glancing up at Anna from his paper, examining her grades. She didn't say anything, just groaned and rolled her eyes.

She had been sitting in the principal's office for two hours now, mindlessly listening as her father tried to argue with the principal over her failing literature grade.

He suggested a tutor, Chet said he didn't believe in tutoring. He suggested summer school, Chet complained that she already went to school enough, and besides, if he believed in summer school, maybe there would have been less Hunters who failed Literature and more Hunters with high school scholarships.

Every suggestion Mr. Clarke made Chet would turn down. Which was even more embarrassing to Anna, considering Chet didn't show up to this meeting until after she had to sit through an hour-long lecture made by her Principal.

"No, I'm sorry Mr Principal, but my daughter is not a high school flunky. My son, possibly, my nieces and nephews, probably. Me? Well, we all know that answer there." Anna rolled her eyes. "But not my princess. Never. So, I don't know. Something must be wrong with your grading." He explained, making the principal sigh. Somehow this wasn't her fault.

"Mr Hunter," Mr Clarke began, only to be cut off.

"It's Chet." He interrupted, a toothy grin despite the situation.

"Chet, I'm looking at the records for your daughters literature class...she's only turned in one assignment since the start of the second semester. And the only assignment she turned in was a drawing of Patrick Swayze titled 'How dirty is your dancing? A step by step guide to finding a way out of Swayze's eyes'." Mr Clarke explained, making Chet look at Anna confused. She shrugged, smiling at the paper.

"What? I was experimenting. Eric and I were thinking of starting a club here at school and I had to make the posters." She said proudly, looking at the picture and smiling. "Not my best work, but surely not deserving of an F." She scoffed, pointing the the giant red F circled a top the paper.

"Now, teach, my daughter...she's really smart, I swear it." Chet explained.

"Oh I know. Despite her F in this class, all her other grades have stayed in A range, occasionally dropping to a B. That's why I was so concerned. Despite how much we care about our students grades, it's always concerning to see a student with such high potential slipping. Now I don't know what's been going on, anything that would spark not wanting to do assignments. But I understand you're a hard working student and I wanted to reach out and help." Mr Clarke explained.