40 : 𝓫𝓲𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼𝔀𝓮𝓮𝓽 𝓼𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

SOMEONE'S REALLY
NOT A BIG BIRTHDAY
PERSON.

SINCE SUMMER HAD STARTED, THE HUNTER SIBLINGS HAD NEVER SEEMED TO FEEL MORE HOME

SINCE SUMMER HAD STARTED, THE HUNTER SIBLINGS HAD NEVER SEEMED TO FEEL MORE HOME. Johnathan took care of them, and he did it well. He made sure they ate, made sure they completed all their summer work, and tried his best to connect with them to make their stay worth while. Anna couldnt help but confide in him with things, things she usually didn't confide in people with. He learned enough about the Hunter's, at this point they were more his kids then Chet's. Like most mornings, the three were together in the kitchen to eat breakfast. It was strange at first, waking up with food on the table that you didn't have to make yourself, but eventually they grew used to it.

"Oh, I forgot to pick up your birthday present from Cory's house, but he told me he'd run it over later." Shawn said, glancing up at Anna before diving back into his food. Mr Turner looked over at her with furrowed eyebrows.

"Birthday present? It's your birthday?" He asked, tilting his head with amusement. Anna recoiled a bit, sitting back in her seat.

"Yeah, it's no biggy." She shrugged and Mr Turner shoved her lightly with excitement.

"You're seventeen now, that's kinda a biggy."

"Yeah whatever." She grumbled, picking mindlessly at her food.

"Oh come on kiddo?" He said, noticing the glum look on her face. "We live together now I, I wanna be a part of your life. I wanna be in the loop. I thought this was going good." He said, and Anna sighed, nodding at him.

"It is, it is. I love living with you Mr Turner. I just, I guess I forgot sorry."

She didn't say anything else, trying as hard as she could to avoid making eye contact with him. Avoiding his eyes seemed to make it even more obvious that something was wrong.

"You okay Kid?" Mr Turner asked, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah." She shrugged him off, getting up quickly. "I'm just, I'm gonna go over to the Matthews." She said, heading for the door.

"Alright, just come back for Dinner!" Mr Turner yelled after her, making her yell back.

"Okay."

"Don't take it personally Mr Turner, she's never liked her birthday." Shawn said, scarfing down his food like it was his first meal.

"What kinda kid doesn't like their birthday?" He asked, shaking his head, not entirely understanding why she stormed out the way she did.

"The kinda kid who was abandoned on it." Mr Turner looked over at Shawn confused. "Look, the first time our dad left us was on Anna's birthday. She's always thought it was her fault, that she did something. It's just not a good association for her, it's best to ignore it." He explained, getting out of his seat to rinse off his dish. Mr Turner's eyebrows furrowed, looking down at his plate.