59 : Learning to Fly

OUR DAD'S
GOOD FRIENDS WITH
THE BEAN

ERIC HAD BEEN SITTING WITH ANNA IN THE HOSPITAL, just like he had every day since she had been admitted

ERIC HAD BEEN SITTING WITH ANNA IN THE HOSPITAL, just like he had every day since she had been admitted. He and Shawn took turns visiting, they called it their Anna shift. She didn't mind, she found it quite cute actually. But for the past 10 minutes Eric had been reading Anna's college essay, the one she wrote about the abuse. He couldn't help but shed a tear. To know she had gone through so much hurt, so much pain. It crushed him.

"Anna this is incredible." He whispered, frowning at her as he wipped his tears. She smiled at him, wipping his tears away as she did.

"Thanks Eric."

"No like really, I'm not just saying it because you're my best friend. This is, this is really good." He repeated, smiling at her as she handed him the paper back. She frowned slightly, shaking her head as she looked down at the paper.

"Thanks, but I'm not gonna submit it." She said, folding the paper and hiding it in her bag as Eric furrowed his eyebrows.

"What? Why not, it's amazing?"

"I don't know. It's just, no one wants to hear about me mope my abuse story." She shook her hands, turning to look to the ground to avoid Eric's eyes. "It's just, I have to scrap it. I'm not getting into college anyway, I lost my chance when I missed applications."

Eric was about to speak before the nurse came in. There was so much he wanted to say, that he and Mr Turner mailed in her college applications months ago, that they had sent Mr Turner mail to meet with her about joining their college. That they were so impressed that she managed to hold a full time job while also juggling school and a messed up home life. But he couldn't, because the nurse came in, and Anna's health was more important than any college.

"Alright Miss Hunter, here is your paperwork, and here is your discharge papers. You should be feeling much better soon." The nurse said with a smile, making Eric smile back.

"Thanks doc."

She nodded before walking away as Anna stretched in her spot.

"You ready?" Eric asked, holding his hands out to help her stand. He and Shawn had both been helping her with her physical therapy, so he was used to holding her up.

"As ready as I'll ever be." She grabbed ontpo his hands, eric pulling her up as she used him for support.

"It's like you're taking your first steps." He teased, making her roll her eyes at him as he chuckled.

"Oh shut up." She continued to move further awya from the bed, letting go of erocs hands as she stepped opn her own. Pain shot up her leg causing her to fall. "Ah."

"It's alright I got you." Eric said softly, having caught her gently befire she could fall.
"Good job."

The two froze for a second, looking each other in the eyes. They just then realized how close they were to each other, Eric ready to catch her in his arms, having caught her quickly. And they stood there, staring at each other, relishing in the closeness. Before Anna stepped away with a smile.