Chapter Forty Eight - Screams And Dreams.

And I guess this is the way it ends
And there's no point in staying friends

Big singing girl out in the bar
From home so far
Little girl out alone in the world
Going forth, showing what she's worth

And I guess this is the way it ends
And there's no point in staying friends

And I remember when you told me that you loved me
Little did I know and little did I say
You were over your head and I hadn't yet said
What's true in our heart, to create a thing called art

So I wish upon a star
And I promise I'll go far
And I close my eyes at once
And I hear a thousand songs

And I close my eyes
And I hear a thousand songs
And I wish upon a star
And I promise I'll go far

And I guess this is the way it ends
And there's no point in staying friends

And it's time
To turn your screams into dreams.

Damiano reads the letter from over my shoulder and soon enough his hand leaves mine as he quickly departs the room. The sound of a door slamming startles me before I let out a shaky breath and glance to my mum for some kind of reassurance. All she could do was pull me in against her chest and comb my hair comfortingly. 
This had to happen right when I just got him back didn't it? I clench my eyes shut and regretfully imagine the feeling I'll soon feel when I leave him here in Rome. The company wanted me to fly out by the end of the week and when I read those words I felt my chest hurt all over, that pain I didn't think I'd ever feel again had returned. 

I pull away from my mum quickly and rush after Damiano who had gone outside to the back garden. When I walk out into the colder evening, I can see him standing there by the pool with his silhouette reflecting from the water with a cigarette loosely between his fingers. I slowly make my way over to see he was staring down at the pool with a hard expression on his face, one that was trying to ignore the hurt he was feeling and if you knew Damiano well.. you would know that is very unlike him. 

"Dami..." I trail sadly, my hand touches his shoulder which breaks his stare at the water. He glances down at my hand and then looks away breathing out heavily, it was that kind of breath you took right before you were about to cry. He runs a hand over his face as I purse my lips sadly, I move myself out in front of him and pull him against me needlingly. His head buries into my neck, his arms tightly wrapping around me as he drops his cigarette against the ground. He holds me so tightly against him while I feel a few tear droplets leave my eyes. Both of our hands rest behind the others neck, playing with each others hair reassuringly as if it was the last time. I clutch his white tank top in a fist with the other hand and breathe in his comforting scent that never failed to make me feel better. I couldn't believe after the struggle of getting to this point... I was now leaving. The thought of leaving both Nonna and Damiano here broke my heart into pieces, all I wanted was to take them both with me but I knew it wasn't possible either way. 

"This isn't the end Damiano... it's not, we can still do long distance. We could make it work" 

"Make it work? It will never work, we'll be in two different places and doing different things. It's not possible amore.... I wish to god that is was but maybe this is the end for a while" He mumbles against my shoulder. I pull away from him slowly and stare at him with tense eyes. 

"It's not the end Damiano... Don't say that." I shake my head. "When you were away touring three years ago, it worked. Why could it work then but it can't work now?" I ask of him, folding my arms tightly genuinely interested.

"Because I wasn't as far as England baby" He whispers, caressing my cheek softly. His eyes were filled of dread and upset that I couldn't stare into them for too long. He was right, he was only half an hour away on a flight for three to four weeks. I run a hand through my hair, trying to collect a plan that we could go through with desperately. I wasn't ready to let him go again, I didn't want to. The thought made me feel physically sick and empty.