Chapter One

Chanize POV

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I listened to the creeks of the wooden structure as I paid close attention to the small screen. My family wasn't wealthy enough to get one of those smart TVs, Instead, we had the one referred to as 'Big back' but we were still grateful.

"Bloodclaat Biggs, you score again cuz," I hissed, throwing the game controller at my cousin who was seated across the room. His real name is Jermaine, but Aunty Paulene... his mother, called him Biggs since he was a child, because of how chubby he was as a baby.

"Tell you already enuh Chanize," he moved the lit joint the other corner of his mouth, "Man a big baller,"

"You listen to much Aidonia, I am the baller in the family, Biggs," I chuckled as I stood from the bed, "You only bad pan the video game... me adi baddest pan the field,"

"Eeeh, True that. But woman fi wash cook and clean... nuh play football,"

"You gwan talk enuh," I laughed,

"Chanize!" I heard my grand my grandmother called for me,

"Yes Mama?" I sighed, turning to my cousin who was still smoking his weed,

"Cuz bwoy me a cut ino,"

"Me hear the old lady a check fi you mon, Likkle more zeen,"

"Nuh seh a word," I laughed as I walked out of his bedroom.

Growing up in a yard filled with males left a permanent scar on me, and no matter how my grandmother and aunt tried to direct me on a different path, I still turned out to be the tomboy they didn't want me to become,

"Mama?" I made my way towards the front of the house, onto the veranda,

"Come gal," She smiled brightly, holding up her cellphone to her face,

"A Mervin a seh goodnight,"

Hearing his name, I rushed over to where she sat. Biggs and I were the only ones as cousins that decided to stay in Jamaica, everyone else took the opportunity and could I blame them?

No.

Everyone was trying to escape the ghetto, one way or the other.

Talking the phone from her grip, I winked at my grandmother who rolled her eyes in annoyance,

"Wah gwan Mel?" I smile, staring down at the phone, it was a video call,

"Deh ya ino Chan, Mama a tell me seh you get bay ones and twos... me proud a you fam,"

"Yeah, Me proud a me too," I laughed.

CXC results came out one week ago, I was one of the top achievers for my school and that means I will be enrolled into Pre-UWI for free, well not for free... someone obviously had to pay for it, But thank God, It is not us.

"So wei u plan fi do ya now? Can't waste time in a Jamaica enuh. Farrin the thing deh,"

"Nuh fi me ino," I shook my head, "Maybe later on, but nuh right now,"

"Yuh Just nuh wah Left March Pen mon, and me understand, but you fi know when you outgrow some place,"

Saying nothing, my eyes shifted from the screen, looking around me as he spoke, While I understand what he was saying, he had to understand that my life is here... I grew up here, we all did.

"Alright cuz, me ago think bout it and link you," I lied, knowing I already made my decisions. Our family had a history here and I wasn't going to leave it behind, Before my father and mother were killed, they started a house, I planned to finish up so my grandmother and I can move out of the board one,