Chapter 46

ERIK

I woke up to the alarm of my phone. I took my phone from the side table and dismissed the alarm. I looked around and saw that everything was still the same. Except that it was not the room in my condo unit. It was my room since I was a child. Two months ago, I decided to stay here at our family house in New Manila during weekends. Mom did not request it. I decided on my own accord.

After my morning routine, I went out of my room and proceeded to the dining area. I saw Yaya Lita was finished preparing my food, while Mom was already seated in her usual seat. She never sat on Dad’s chair because she wanted to maintain Dad’s presence. At least in that way, Dad was still here.

“Good morning, Mom,” I greeted on my and kissed her on the cheek.

“Good morning, Son,” Mom said in reply. “How was the wedding yesterday?”

“It was fine,” I replied as I sat on my usual seat. “Andrea was inspired of our crew’s dedication.”

“That’s exactly our vision: to inspire our customers. We won’t call the restaurant Inspire if we don’t.” Mom smilingly said to me.

I was about to tell Mom something when suddenly, I heard a familiar voice entering the dining area. It was Tita Nang. With her were Gardo and some of our helpers in Pangasinan.

“Tita Nang!” I shouted joyously. I went to her and gave her a hug. “Kailan pa po kayo nakarating dito?”

“Kagabi lang, anak,” Tita Nang answered after our hug. The helpers went on to sit on the dining table. “Tulog ka na nang nakarating kami.”

“Anong ginagawa niyo dito?” I asked her still shocked of their presence. However, Tita Nang frowned as I asked her that.

“Nakalimutan mo na naman?” Tita Nang sadly asked me then. My eyebrows met because of her expression. It made me think twice to reply. I tried to remember what the date was. And then, it dawned to me. I ALMOST FORGOT!

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” I loudly sang as I gave her another round of hug. That was too close, I thought. How could I possibly forget Tita Nang’s birthday that easy?

“Akala ko nakalimutan mo na naman,” Tita Nang smilingly replied.

“Kain na muna po kayo,” I offered to Tita Nang as I led her to her seat.

Mom and I always welcome Tita Nang, Gardo and the other Pangasinan helpers to eat with us on the table every time there would be a celebration. Even Yaya Lita would join us to eat. It’s been a tradition of our family to let them join us since they are part of our family.

“So, Manang. What do you plan to do on your birthday?” Mom asked Tita Nang.

“Magsisimba muna kami para makapagpasalamat sa Maykapal,” Tita Nang abruptly answered while taking a small scoop of food for her plate.

Mom looked at me like she was suggesting me something through eye contact. At that moment, I knew what she meant.

“Gusto mo bang samahan ka namin magsimba?” I asked Tita Nang. “We can ask our parish priest to celebrate the mass.”

Tita Nang stopped putting her food on her place and looked at me and Mom. I was grinning at her. She was surprised, I thought. This would be the first time after a long time that Mom and I would be attending mass together. Not since Dad died did Tita Nang saw us attend a mass together.