Chapter 6

AN: i may have forgotten that i was a wattpad writer

He sees a pair of crocs enter the room and holds his breath with anticipation. He had never hidden in a girl's room before.

"Meredith, you were talking to yourself. Are you feeling alright?" Her mother's voice is nothing like hers. It is cold and sharp making him cringe.

"Just practicing my lines mom. I got the part as Juliet remember, I told you yesterday?" She asks hopefully and he grins proudly.
"No, I don't recall it. You should be sleeping, or studying. Not rehearsing plays at three in the morning. What are those?" Her mother asks, walking to his shoes.
"Part of my costume."
"They aren't your size."
"I know... I need to uhm- I need to ask for a different size." She says nervously and quietly.

"Okay. Why does it smell like light cologne?" She asks.
"I was trying on a friend's jacket." She stands and walks to her desk, grabbing Derek's jacket and swinging it over her shoulders.
"It's too big." Her mother nods and walks towards the door as Meredith hangs his jacket on her chair.
"Oh." Meredith lays back on the bed.
"Goodnight. I have a major surgery tomorrow so I'll be back for dinner. The Montgomery's have asked to have us over. Apparently, they have adopted a boy your age." She says.
"He goes to my school." She nods.
"That's good. Sleep well." Her mother switches off the light and walks out of the room.

Their hearts pound hard against their ribcages in the dark and it becomes humid underneath the bed. Both of them are nervous to move but he is sweating. His shirt tightens around his chest and his ribs press on his lungs, making him lose his breath. Taking off his shirt, he holds it closely.

"Oh." Her mother adds, opening her door again making her gasp.
"Yes?" Meredith asks, breathlessly.
"Wear something nice okay?" She asks.
"I will. Night mom. Love you." Meredith nods before her mother shuts the door again.

They are both frozen, and he lets out a sharp breath before gasping. She hangs her arm off the miss and he locks their fingers loosely as they hear a door close on the other side of the hallway. He lets go of her fingers and crawls out from underneath the bed, holding his shirt in his hands.

"That was close." He whispers.
"Why'd you take off your shirt?" She asks quietly as he lays next to her and moves close to her lips.
"I got claustrophobic." He admits.
"You have to go now." She says defensively staring at his lips.

She had been thinking about him all week and it was more than obvious that she liked him. The feeling of his hand on her waist made her swoon and having him laying bless than three feet from her made her blush furiously. Thankful that the lights were off, she stared at his chest.

He wanted to kiss her. Right now, he wanted to meet her lips and hold her waist and so many other things. He had never kissed a girl before though, what if she didn't like it. He had barely even talked to a girl before so he couldn't be sure that she liked him. The social worker would come back soon and he may be going away forever.

Her hands move on his chest making him breathe nervously. Anything was better than what was happening now. Her hand was rubbing his abs, feeling how hard they were. Taking a shallow breath, she backs away and pulls her hand away from him.

"You didn't do anything." She says sadly as he shakes his head.
He couldn't do what he wanted to because she was herself. She was perfect and he didn't want to hurt her.

"I can't." He replied gently, and his warm breath ran up her nape. He wanted to and there was no denying it. He had been so busy taking care of the boys at the home, that he hadn't been paying attention to anything for himself.

"Why aren't you leaving?" She asks gently.
"I'm not going till I find out what I did to make you ignore me for a week." He sighs, pulling a blanket over himself.
"It wasn't anything you did." She whispers.
"Well it was something, is the Smith guy making you uncomfortable? I swear, he walks around like he owns the place and it's not fair to anybody-" He asked, rolling his eyes.
"No. He's... no." She shakes her head and turns to Derek.

Her hair flows over her face and his fingers graze up and push her stray locks of gold behind her ear. Watching her blush, he smiles and nods, urging her to continue.
"It's my mother. She's starting to get sick." She says quietly.
"She didn't sound sick to me." He says, confused.
"No, not physical sickness. A mental one. It's genetic."
"Oh. Is there anything we can do to reverse it?"
"No. There is no cure for Alzheimer's."
"That's why she couldn't remember."
"Yes. Now see, I told you that it wasn't you."
"Okay. It wasn't me." He yawns as he gets out of the bed.
She watches as he pulls on his shirt before opening her window. A small breeze comes in, making her feel less hot and he smiles as he ties his sneakers.

"Your jacket." She whispers.
"Keep it. Your mom said it looked good on you. You can return it tomorrow. I can't wait to see you in it."
"It's black and made of leather." She complains.
"You want my shirt instead?" He asks sarcastically to see her roll her eyes. He smiles as he climbs out of her window and carefully stands on her roof. She gets up and puts on a shawl as she walks to the closet, pulling out her biggest shirt. He laughs as she throws it at him and pulls his jacket over her shoulders.

"Good night Meredith." He smiles.